Respected Contributor

They Don’t Make Them Like They Used To

I was whipping potatoes for lunch with my handheld mixer. It is avocado green and was a wedding gift 54 years ago. It  still works just like it did way back then. I have mixed every cake, dessert, recipe, and you name it using this little guy. My KitchenAid stand mixer is in the storage closet.

The mixer is a General Electric CAT. NO. D3M57. It was made in the U.S.A. in Bridgeport, Conn. per the information and abbreviation style on the bottom of the mixer. If you find one of these in an estate or for sale somewhere, try it. It has 3 speeds: off, low, med, and hi. The white beater ejector is next to the red speed control on the top in front of the handle. That's it. No other bells and whistles.

Honored Contributor

Re: They Don’t Make Them Like They Used To

I have something similar....it was a "gift" for opening a bank account

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

I thought for fun I would Google it. None of the photos being shown are my mixer even though the number is the same. Maybe they changed styles and feature back then but kept the same number. Who knows?

Honored Contributor

Am sure a picture of your mixers inner parts would show they are metal, and built to last.   Once the inner parts were assembled with plastic, the meaning of built to last changed.

Honored Contributor

@On It   Bravo for old GE hand mixers.  I have one I got as a wedding gift in 1964, and it's the only mixer I ever had all my married life.  It could handle the stiffest cookie dough; I used it for everything.  It still works although one of the beaters came unwelded.  I did just a few years ago get a KitchenAid pretty turquoise hand mixer.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@RedTop 

Just like "Lifetime Guarantee"...who's lifetime...and what is the life expectancy of, say, a mixer, mower or ANYTHING?!?!??!?

Today a three year warranty is a shock!!

More like 90 days for most stuff.

Honored Contributor

@On It 

If I may respectively ask, do you fix dinner in the middle of the day?  I can't imagine mashed potatoes in mid day.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@On It 

If I may respectively ask, do you fix dinner in the middle of the day?  I can't imagine mashed potatoes in mid day.

Yes. We both grew up on farms. The big meal of the day was at noon. We called it dinner, and at night we had supper. We moved to urban areas and started our careers. We were apart during the day, so we had lunch which was a lighter meal. Dinner was in the evening. Since we retired and are home together, we switched back to having our bigger meal at noon and something light for our evening meal. It really helps my acid reflux to avoid a heavy evening meal. (We have never eaten breakfast.)

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@On It 

but only with gravy . LOL

Honored Contributor

@On It 

I grew up in NC on the Blue Ridge Parkway.  We had horses, 100 head of white faced herfords, and 3 commercial chicken houses. 

Dinner was in the evening since we were in school and the others working.