Respected Contributor

Re: These house rehab shows make me laugh when they go into a kitchen like mine..

Sounds like some of these realtors don't know what they're talking about. I've read more than one article that says if you're selling your house to not redo the kitchen or bathroom because not only will you likely not recoup your investment, but your idea of what a perfect kitchen is may not be what the buyers want, so they'll just end up redoing it again.

Super Contributor

Re: These house rehab shows make me laugh when they go into a kitchen like mine..

On 5/21/2014 Judaline said:

I'm always looking over my shoulder for the 'stainless steel' police. I think I'm supposed to have it. And granite counter tops. I feel them closing in. Any day now.

Do not feel one bit bad that you don't have them. In a few years, they'll be "out" if not already. Stainless steel is very hard to keep looking good, especially if you have kids. It shows all fingerprints.

Personally, I hate most granite countertops. I just don't like the look. I also do not care for many that are shown on these shows with the backsplashes that often don't co-ordinate all that well. They look way too "busy" for my taste and are just "okay" if well done and there is nothing much on them.

I spent lots of time researching all the available materials and was very surprised to read about all the negatives about granite, considering how commonly they are being used or pushed on the consumer today.

Ceramic tile has certainly stood the test of time and I've seen hundreds of older homes where it is still in good condition.

Super Contributor

Of all the shows on HGTV, the worst people are on House Hunters International who ,either, are moving to Europe and want to "experience the European life" but want all the bells and whistles that we have come to expect here in the USA. Or the ones who are buying a second home (vacation home) and also want everything that they have at home.

Honored Contributor

When we sold 4 years ago our realtor offered the potential buyers who viewed the home a place to give us feedback on the house after they viewed it. It was on the market during that time when the government was offering incentives for homebuyers so I think a lot of people who may not have otherwise been able to look were looking. We basically got complaints that the basement was not finished - no hardwood floors - the kitchen cabinets were oak - no stainless or granite. Our realtor would tell them - for this price you don't get those things - if this house had all that it would be on the market way above your price range. The house sold quickly - to a middle age couple who were able to appreciate the large level yard, the space and storage available in the house and that important things like the new siding and roof - new heat pump all appliances under 5 years old.

Unfortunately, unless they take parents or someone knowledgeable with them - these kids will buy anything that looks modern and pretty with no attention to important things like the mechanics, the space and light and a level yard.

Trusted Contributor

On 5/20/2014 bonnielu said:

I DID once enjoy these shows. Now I am amazed what the MUST HAVES are and how spoiled and enabled and privileged the buyers seem to be. Granite this and stainless that and of course OPEN CONCEPT. It a way it concerns me since most of us don't live like that and still survive and have nice homes. It rather makes me think that someday when I try to sell someone will use the checklist from the shows and I will be left with an unsold property simply because someone does not like the wall color.

I agree. It is hard to believe that people even mention things that are easy and inexpensive fixes, like wall color or light fixtures.

When they talk about open concept they always add how it is necessary so they can keep an eye on their kids. When did it become necessary to keep a constant eye on your kids, especially in the house. When we grew up we played, sometimes for hours, in our rooms, in each others rooms, in the den or living room, or even outside in the yard. My mother didn't find it necessary to watch us constantly and we all survived.

Respected Contributor

On 5/21/2014 Jackielee said:

Of all the shows on HGTV, the worst people are on House Hunters International who ,either, are moving to Europe and want to "experience the European life" but want all the bells and whistles that we have come to expect here in the USA. Or the ones who are buying a second home (vacation home) and also want everything that they have at home.

I call those "the Ugly American" episodes. I enjoy the episodes where the folks are really interested in the lifestyle and abodes without the constant "wow, back in [insert state name here] we have...."

Valued Contributor

On 5/21/2014 house_cat said:
On 5/21/2014 curlywhitedog said:

no one went hungry from ugly. {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Maria

Omg, Maria! This is the best comment of the entire thread! I have to remember it! {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

house cat: Glad if I made you smile...

I spent 35 years selling real estate so there's not a comment I haven't heard. A few of the most ridiculous ones I've ever heard are:

"I could never buy this house, I hate ceiling fans". Really? You do know you can remove them, right?

"The patio is too small for my bbq grill". Really? The yard being a half acre isn't big enough to hold it?

"Is there any way to have this pool facing south". Sure, I know, why don't I reverse the rotation of the earth for ya, I'll get right on it.

and the most ridiculous one of all

"If this was my house I'd put a clock instead of a picture over the sink". Alrighty then, here's your moron hat, you win the "stupid things to say" prize.

People, by nature, are short sighted. I could show two identical houses to the same buyers and they'd hate one but love the other...go figure. Shows how short sighted they are. People fixate on things that they dislike instead of what they do like but why they do so is just one of the mysteries of life I suppose. There are cultures that will eliminate a house based on the direction it faces, the color it is or the house number on the street and while I don't follow those same preferences, I understand and respect that for religious, cultural or other reasons, some do. On my own cul de sac there is no #13, we go from 11 to 15 so apparently my own builder recognized that for some, #13 is akin to having a black cat walk in front of you.

Selling real estate is a crazy roller coaster ride, some days up and some days down but no matter what, never the same day twice.

Maria

Super Contributor

My parents have a kitchen from the 1940's - they've replaced the appliances, but not the floor or cabinets or counters. It's kind of funny - they can absolutely afford a new kitchen, but for the last 30+ years they can't agree on what the new cabinets should look like or who they should hire. It's really funny, and it's a running joke.

Trusted Contributor

I am living with a 1970 house. Hate the litchen. I have wanted to redo the kitchen and family room since the day we moved in. No doubt we will do it to sell. That's what happened with our old house. I can't understand why we can't do it for us to enjoy. I always have to do without but then when he realizes that other people won't buy it, we change the things I wanted changed all along. Thankfully, my appliances have all broken down at one point or another and I have been able to upgrade those.

Super Contributor

The people who say they want a fixer upper and then when shown one say, "I don't know, we might have to paint" drive me crazy. The weirdest one to me is when people stand in front of a window in a city apartment say that neighbors can see them like they've never heard of curtains! I always buy white appliances and I wish I could have found those vintage metal cabinets for my kitchen, I love them.