Contributor

Re: These house rehab shows make me laugh when they go into a kitchen like mine..

(Have you ever observed that the ones SO fussy about how the kitchen looks usually can't cook!)

I watch HGTV daily, especially the Property Brothers. I really enjoy seeing the transformations.

So, we bought the home we are in 3 years ago, and it was 2 years old at the time. We purchased this particular home because I needed the land it was on for my dogs. I overlooked the actual home, but since being in it these past 3 years, I have to make some big changes.

The kitchen is so small that when my husband and I are in it together it is impossible to move. And... I am a great cook, but need more counter space and an Island with a sink. I do a great deal of baking for my "dogs" and cook daily for my husband who is a diabetic. I have to store baking sheets etc in my oven as I do not have enough storage. It has become a pain in the butt. So we called a contractor we know and he is knocking out some walls and adding custom cabinets, enlarging our pantry, putting in built in double ovens, relocating the sink and dishwasher etc. etc. I have been totally inspired watching these shows and can now talk intelligently to my contractor. I cannot wait for my new kitchen.

Super Contributor

Re: These house rehab shows make me laugh when they go into a kitchen like mine..

I remodeled my kitchen about 10 years ago, mostly in white, and it's held up very well. Before that...it looked like the 'before" picture in a "before and after" series, but as someone else said, I still managed to put meals on the table for my family.

The only thing I would change now is take out the corian counters and change them out to granite instead. They "work" fine but they show every little crumb and speck of dust, and evidently it's against my DH's religion to wipe down counters. Otherwise, I wouldn't change a thing.

Honored Contributor

My house was built in 2000 and I'm getting by with a oak cabinets, formica countertops, stainless steel sink and plain old white appliances. I will admit that seeing the new home of friends who have hardwood floors, granite counters and huge stainless steel appliances makes me a little jealous.