Honored Contributor

Re: These house rehab shows make me laugh when they go into a kitchen like mine..

We built out house in 1988. I have the original cherry cabinets and hardwood floors (refinished a few years ago). My almond colored appliances all broke down and were replaced with black ones because I am not crazy about stainless steel. We did replace the laminate counter tops with granite.

Everyone laughed at me for not choosing oak cabinets and tile floors. I guess I was ahead of my time. I have no plans to replace anything in my kitchen. Let the next owners do it when I am dead and gone.

Super Contributor

Re: These house rehab shows make me laugh when they go into a kitchen like mine..

I never understood why everyone on these shows wants the exact same kitchen as everyone else. It's like they have no imagination whatsoever.
Super Contributor

On 5/20/2014 ibb38 said:

I decided to update my countertops last summer- I got quartz. Everytime I went into the store they were pushing new cabinets too- I love my oak cabinets form the 1990's! They're in great shape- and solid wood!

Me too. I kept my cabinets (1942) and put in a farmhouse sink (corner) and quartz countertops which I love. I added a garbage disposal which required updating the electrical in the kitchen. The house is small and the cabinets are not standard depth but all wood and in good condition so I saw no reason to replace them.

It really is amazing to see how entitled most of the couples on these shows seem to be, especially the women. I feel sorry for the husbands and wonder if the marriage will survive in many cases.

Regular Contributor

the 'house hunters' type shows are a poor imitation of the originals that aired app 10 years ago on the bbc. {#emotions_dlg.mad}

the average british buyers were thrilled to see practical improvements, especially if the homes were 50 to 100+ years old.

they'd happily exclaim, ''oh, new lino !'' [ fresh linoleum covering the original lumpy brick floor]. and if the ''cooker'' had 4 burners, they were ecstatic. a water heater in the kitchen, ''how convenient''.

a good bedroom had room for a wardrobe cabinet , closets were rarely built in, and some of the bedrooms themselves were no bigger than a walk in closet- if you could fit any bed in the space, it was a bedroom. apparently they have alot less possessions to store. they did expect a working bathroom somewhere in the house.

whatever 'land' there was in the back was called a ''garden'', even if it was a tiny, overgrown mess, without any privacy at all.

i know there are wealthier folks there too, with finer homes. these were middle income people and their realistic expectations and good attitude made watching these shows a pleasure. never had the feeling i wanted to smack someone, you know, like when the master bedroom isn't ''masterful'' enough. {#emotions_dlg.glare}

society/media/whatever has escalated the expectations of so many folks, most did not grow up with all these 'upgrades', but someone gave them the idea they needed it all, and now ! everyone would like to live in a nice place, but that seems not good enough anymore- for most of the tv buyers anyhow.

i know the production companies for these shows greatly influence and control what is said, maybe some of these folks are kind of 'on script' in a 'reality' sort of way. {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Honored Contributor

The majority of the time when they are saying that the kitchen and bathrooms are so outdated and need to be gutted, I am saying --- gee- I wish mine looked so modern! Ha!

At least of these people seem so spoiled. My goodness. Nothing wrong with sprucing up or getting new occasionally if you can afford it. But if things look nice and are functioning well, then it seems so wasteful. Sure, if money were no object, I'd definitely update some things.

I have to say though that after the"re-dos", at lot of these places look so stark, plain and without any real style or warm to me.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

To me, these shows rip out a kitchen that looks not only better than anything I've ever owned, but better than what they replace it with. And when I see them just destroy the counters, cabinets etc. for the shock factor, I think how selfish that they don't remove the items and donate them, as so many people could use them.

My kitchen is original to this 1973 house, and is in sorry shape. My appliances are newer, and we papered and painted when we moved in 20 years ago, replaced the window and sliding glass door, then ran out of money. The cabinets are dilapidated, the counter tops were cheap and ugly even then, and the wood floor is looking pretty rough. But I've fed a family here for 20 years, enjoyed the company of friends and family for holidays and get togethers over the years. I hope to have a nice new pretty kitchen someday, but if not, I suppose it won't be the worst thing I have to deal with in life. Just wish all those young couples on the shows could get things into perspective and see this as well.

Contributor

My house is nearly 100 years old. Yes, really. We bought it 23 years ago. The kitchen cabinets probably date back to the 60s. We are happy, and I can cook a great meal just fine. I think it's terrific for those who are able to buy a new home or do extensive remodeling, it just has never been in the cards for us. We just never care to spend large amounts of money on things that we don't really have to have, or can't really afford. I do hope to remodel it someday, but if it doesn't happen, I will be fine.

I, too, am amazed at many of the people on those shows. Another thing is when they carry on about the colors on the walls, and don't want to buy it because of that. Is it really that hard to paint?

Honored Contributor

I'm always looking over my shoulder for the 'stainless steel' police. I think I'm supposed to have it. And granite counter tops. I feel them closing in. Any day now.

Honored Contributor

As I was growing up in the 50's and 60s people used their homes as they were until they became unusable. Then they would remodel. Thus - everyone got a new kitchen approximately every 20 to 30 years. It seems now a days about every 10 years some people gut and replace their kitchen and baths. I have a friend who is an interior decorator and I am pretty sure she always has some part of her home under construction. She also constantly complains that she will never be able to retire - maybe she should have thought of that all the times she was ripping those rooms apart.

Regular Contributor

On 5/20/2014 2000survivor said: I watch a lot on HGTV; Love it or List it, Property Brothers, etc. What I noticed and find odd is a house is referred to as space, as they tour rooms are referred to as space. When did that start? I still call a house a house, a room is a room and a closet is a closet.
I ditto that. I thought I was the only one. Or was behind the times. So thank you for not letting me feel alone. I hear space one more time instead of its proper given name in English I'm going to scream.