Honored Contributor

Re: There Goes Another Plate!

Walmart has the best prices for Corelle stuff. I can pick it up at curbside, too. Just this morning I picked up two of the large 28-oz cereal bowls. They are sold individually so that makes it super convenient.

Honored Contributor

@Enufstuff  I don't buy complete sets anymore either but add a pieces or two in new colors. Love ❤️ 

Honored Contributor

We use fiestaware here in just about every color. It's heavy but I haven't lost one yet! 

Honored Contributor

We started way back when with white Corelle but neither liked the texture.  We have a number of sets since then--Spode Blue Italian, Villeroy and Boch a couple and pieces of Apilco white from Williams-Sonoma sale tables.

Being older and retired, eating at home all the time, we almost never use plates, but rather flatter pasta bowls, bowls of different shapes and sizes, and large cups with handles.  We now have an assortment of Lenox Butterfly Meadow things.

They make so many different shapes and the weight is lighter and they are so sturdy.  They fit our current lifestyle perfectly.  Salads, soups, pastas etc. mostly. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GenXmuse   The new Fiesta, which was created for restaurant use initially, is sturdier than the original Fiesta. I have both.

The old Fiesta would chip very easily. The new Fiesta is vitreous, it's heavy and doesn't chip with normal use.

When I married my second husband, I had to pack away all my old Fiesta. He would bang pieces together in the dishwasher and ruined many pieces.

My grandmother gave me all her old Fiesta and I had been using it for many years with five children and no incidents.

My kids grew up in a house filled with antiques and were careful with things.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Harpa try replacements dot com...they have all kinds of patterns and brands. I even found missing pieces of my parents wedding silverware pattern from 1954 as well as the pink Cinderella glass corning mixing bowls...

hope you find something!

edited to add that I didn't see the other posters suggestions about the replacements website...sorry about that

Honored Contributor

I've rarely used a set, expecially since I live solo and never entertain.

Don't really care for all the plates, bowls, and mugs/cups matching.

Esteemed Contributor

@Harpa ... no, I don't have any mismatched plates thanks to my Dad.  My Dad grew up in Italy.  His family was very poor.  He always told me that all they had were mismatched plates.  That caused him to develop a dish fetish when he got older.   He was the physician for our local Mikasa warehouse.  He used to ask them to pay for his services with bone china dish sets.  He also purchased Tiffany and Lenox dish sets.  If he went to a department store with my mother she would leave him in the china department while she did her shopping.   Needless to say, he purchased several sets for me plus my brother and I inherited all my parents dishes after Mom passed away.  

Honored Contributor

Ebay has a number of dinnerware patterns if you know the name of your pattern.

You can also google image the name of your pattern and go straight to it.

Honored Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

Growing up, my mom had mismatched dishes (dinnerware, mixing bowls, serving bowls...). Drove me nuts every time I opened the cupboards. I figured out years ago that if you choose a color and stick to it, even if the items aren't the same because you find something you like here and there, it still all goes together and is more pleasing to the eye. It also cuts down on the spur-of-the-moment 'gotta have it' if it doesn't fit your theme. 

I appreciate when people choose to display dishware in this fashion.  I find it creative and interesting.