Valued Contributor

The word "frenched" in relation to Pork Chops on a Stcik recipe

I've been searching for a recipe from the Iowa state fair and this came up.  I never heard of this method so thought I might find the answer here on the boards.

1.  Pork Chop On-A-StickThis made our #1 spot on the list for it’s simple perfection!   The pork chop is served on the bone and has been frenched.  It’s a naturally, built in “stick!”  They must be doing something right because the line was wrapped around the building and down the fairway.  Nothing better than some local Iowa Pork!

Read more: http://www.betterrecipes.com/blogs/daily-dish/2011/08/13/top-10-state-fair-foods-on-a-stick/#ixzz3io...

Trusted Contributor

Re: The word "frenched" in relation to Pork Chops on a Stcik recipe

[ Edited ]

It means to cut into lengthwise pieces. As in french fries.....

See: Culinary Dictionary

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In
Honored Contributor

I believe "frenched" means that you scrape all of the meat away from the bone (from the bottom of the piece of meat pushing it up toward where the bulk of the meat is).

I think they do this with lamb chops a lot and are very popular as appetizers because they are easy to pick up and eat.

Somebody please jump in if I got this wrong . . . Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Yes mtc you are correct.  Only seen this used on rack of lamb where in some restaurants they wrap the "French " end of the bone on small piece of foil so that you can lick it up and munch!  Very common in U.K. Where I am from.

Contributor

The "frenched" treatment is also done on a "crown roast". I think a crown roast is usually pork, and the entire loin of chops is formed into a circle, or crown shape. Back in the 50s and 60s white paper frilly "hats" we're placed on the bone (frenched) end as decoration.

Respected Contributor

@Sandygb wrote:

The "frenched" treatment is also done on a "crown roast". I think a crown roast is usually pork, and the entire loin of chops is formed into a circle, or crown shape. Back in the 50s and 60s white paper frilly "hats" we're placed on the bone (frenched) end as decoration.

My Mom used to do crown roast of pork for company all the time.. She told me those frilly "hats" were ctually called "panties"!!

Sometimes she wuld used candied kumquats on the ends of the frenched bone insted of the panties....

Honored Contributor

That was our traditional Christmas dinner!  Yep, Frenched is when the bone of a rib roast is scraped leaving it bare down to the meat.  LOVE that presentation!  We would put stuffing in the middle of the circle of the roast.