Valued Contributor

The thing that drives me crazy

about David is not so much the happy dance but the fact that he constantly updates you on the number of items sold Geez he does it more than any other hosts Yeah we get it

Honored Contributor

Re: The thing that drives me crazy

[ Edited ]

@allaries All the hosts I watch do exactly the same thing.

D&C shows are famous for this, don't know about some of the other clothing shows. The jewelry shows do this all the time as well.

Valued Contributor

I guess since I rarely watch other shows besides cooking I dont notice

Honored Contributor

It is annoying, so I rarely watch.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

It's not David'd fault. The hosts have ear buds that constantly update them on quantities sold, remaining, etc. It's to get you to order ASAP before they're all gone!

I get sick of going through the colors every two minutes, but they have to do something to fill up the time.

Respected Contributor

It's how they get you to order.  So and so is close to selling out, this color is limited.  I've turned QVC on hours later and the product is still in stock. 

Honored Contributor

He does it because it works to drive sales - there's all sorts of research on what I call the groupie phenomenon, but in David's case, we know it's true because so much sells when he's hosting.

I don't watch what drives me too crazy -  it's not David though.

Honored Contributor

I've wondered if they tell you the actual numbers or make them up. 

Honored Contributor

I only know this from watching that show Donald Trump started, that reality show.

On the show the competitors had to go to QVC and learn how to sell something (act like the hosts).  They were actually there.  I think it was Rick who was helping them.  They actually showed a person in the control room who constantly talks to the host during the show.  He tells how many are being sold, he tells David when the sales are good (actual graphs in the control room) and on and on.

I think the hosts are only doing what they're told to do by the controller.  THAT's how they know what's going on.

If I remember, when David does his dance it's because sales are actually slowing down.  I THINK that's the way it goes.  It's all controlled.

I tried to find it on youtube.  However, Martha Stewart kept popping up and that's not the one I saw.  

Anyway, it was very interesting to watch and it makes the viewer realize how EVERYTHING in so controlled.  Most of us (me anyway) get a reality check when we/me/I see something like I saw.

This is basically similar but from another country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UppWmAE5GKU

Respected Contributor

For me it's the Happy Dance, the hip bumps, the kissy kissy, the constant report on "in this show . . "  the "everybody is  . . . . . " and the "I have only . . ."  No, David.  Not everybody is, and it's QVC who has so many or so few left.   I also hate the constant meaningless use of words like "darling", "sweetheart", etc. And the apparent requirement that everyone use your name in almost every sentence.  And pushing the unrelated TSV.

But more than anything it's the gluttony that is so obvious.  Other hosts also taste items, but with David the bites are HUGE enough to choke him ( and sometimes do ). 

So is there any wonder I rarely watch? Only do so when there is an item I'm interested in learning about.  But kitchen shows are my favorite, and I always watch other hosts when they are doing kitchen/food.