Super Contributor

Re: The most unhealthy restaurant meals in America. Here's the list.

On 8/1/2014 Wsmom said:

In California large restaurant chains are required by law to list their calories for their standard menu items, so the calorie count for Red Robin, Cheesecake, etc., doesn't shock me at all. Cheesecake also has a very good skinnylicious menu that you can get things under 600 calories. I admit, I do splurge on occasion and get a cheeseburger at Red Robin, but you go in knowing that's your calories for the day and don't do it every day. What I found interesting was when I was in a California Pizza Kitchen trying to decide what to get that wouldn't blow all my calories in one sitting it was less calories for one of the pasta dishes than most of the big salads they serve. I should add that at CF I rarely get the dessert, and if I do, it's shared.

I think that's a wonderful requirement!

I remember visiting NYC a few years ago when a similar requirement had just come in & being surprised at the calorie counts for some of the Starbucks desserts I used to get inmy city- they were nearly twice what I'd estimated. I don't have the best willpower in the world and I struggle plenty with my weight, but having seen those calorie counts even once made a huge difference even to a weak-willed person such as me.I have several restaurant guides with calorie counts and I now break them out a little more often. I attribute all that to my Starbucks Surprise.

Of course, compared to the items posted in that article, even the biggest Starbucks treat is "practically free," calorically speaking!

I just can't think of a single argument against posting calorie counts. The more info to consumers the better- that's the logic that has steadily improved food labeling in the US & I'm very grateful to all the consumer advocates & activists who worked hard and long to make that happen. Give me the info and then leave it up to me to decide- at least I can make an informed choice then.

Esteemed Contributor

You're very welcome, mustuy!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Trusted Contributor

I have always followed a very healthy lifestyle. With that being said, I would never eat in any of those establishments in the first place and if I did go into one, I would automatically know not to select any of those meals. I was surprised that the pasta with chicken was so unhealthy. There are much healthier ways of preparing it!!!!
Esteemed Contributor

On 8/3/2014 Beejene said: I have always followed a very healthy lifestyle. With that being said, I would never eat in any of those establishments in the first place and if I did go into one, I would automatically know not to select any of those meals. I was surprised that the pasta with chicken was so unhealthy. There are much healthier ways of preparing it!!!!

Me too. You'd have to really read the description to know that there was a fattening cream sauce that boosted the calories by that much, otherwise it would seem to be a moderate choice.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Trusted Contributor

Sure, all of these chain restaurants have low calorie choices. The underlying issue is that in American culture we tend to equate value with volume of food more than quality. Places like Cheesecake Factory (where most all the food is made in a factory and reheated on site) is a prime example. They sell more slices of the Reese's Cheesecake because it's so huge. If the portion size were cut down by 2/3, the calorie load wouldn't be as bad. No one needs to eat half a pound of factory-made-full-of-chemicals-cake for dessert.

Better values in dining can be found in locally-owned, chef-staffed restaurants. A not-humongous portion of a dish made with fresh ingredients by a trained chef is more satisfying if you can get away from the mind set that bigger is always better.

Esteemed Contributor

have to say I have never eaten any of those...not to say the restaurant food I have eaten is healthly....lol

Honored Contributor

I make a point to never eat at any franchise restaurants. So I guess I'm safe. I'd rather support my own hardworking locals when eating out!

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

On 8/3/2014 pas4116 said:

Sure, all of these chain restaurants have low calorie choices. The underlying issue is that in American culture we tend to equate value with volume of food more than quality. Places like Cheesecake Factory (where most all the food is made in a factory and reheated on site) is a prime example. They sell more slices of the Reese's Cheesecake because it's so huge. If the portion size were cut down by 2/3, the calorie load wouldn't be as bad. No one needs to eat half a pound of factory-made-full-of-chemicals-cake for dessert.

Better values in dining can be found in locally-owned, chef-staffed restaurants. A not-humongous portion of a dish made with fresh ingredients by a trained chef is more satisfying if you can get away from the mind set that bigger is always better.

I think the article focused on chain restaurants because readers all over the country are familiar with those restaurants.

If they listed DuClaw's Duck Fat Fries, very few people outside of Maryland would know the place.

As you stated, better dining values can be found locally, but so can menu items that are bad choices for most.

La Petit Jardin, my favorite restaurant in the world, is exactly what you describe:chef owned and operated, moderate portions, fresh, local ingredients.

They have a Croque Monsier (grilled ham and cheese sandwich topped with a bechemel sauce) that made my taste buds very, very happy! It's not something I would eat on a regular basis, but when I do, I enjoy all of it!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor

The only restaurant listed in this area is the Cheesecake Factory, but have never eaten there. Those ribs look great!

Frequent Contributor

Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we may die!!!!{#emotions_dlg.lol}