Honored Contributor

The expert chefs don't need their cooking shows to be sitcoms.

I'm watching "Secrets of a Chef" on PBS. I love learning new things from the master chefs, rather than those sitcom style cooking shows on FN. I know I'm being a grouch, but I don't need to see their barns being built, their grandchildren's birthday party, the brothers, sisters, aunts and neighbors stopping by to cook with them. Even Pioneer Woman's show, which I generally enjoy, has become too much of a sitcom. I think that those things are an intentional distraction from the fact that their cooking skills are less than extraordinary.

Maybe it's just me.

Maybe I'm just cranky today.{#emotions_dlg.glare}

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: The expert chefs don't need their cooking shows to be sitcoms.

I'm tired of tablescapes.

Honored Contributor

Right now I'm watching two young Swedish men, cooking over a campfire in the Swedish countryside. It's mind blowing, compared to the dry, brown landscape that I see everyday.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

On 1/24/2015 house_cat said:

Right now I'm watching two young Swedish men, cooking over a campfire in the Swedish countryside.

Not these men? {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Swedish Cooking

Honored Contributor

Omg, lola! I literally almost spit out my coffee!

No! Not them! {#emotions_dlg.lol}

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

I just found out what I'm watching. It's called The Mind of a Chef. I love it!

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

Frequent Contributor

I agree. Their cooking skills don't even fill a 30 minute show. Anne Burrell's Secrets of a Restaurant Chef is all cooking. I have learned a few things from her. I don't really see anything new on the other shows. Pioneer Women makes things my mom made in the 70's. They are just recycling old recipes most of the time. And believe me, I certainly don't think I know everything about cooking!
Trusted Contributor

I think calling the shows on FN sitcoms is a bit inaccurate. I do understand the OP's concerns, though.

FN, in the beginning, was geared towards people who enjoy cooking. Things have changed, though. Most people who watch shows on the network do not do so to learn -- they watch it for entertainment. I think it was Anthony Bourdain who compared watching FN to watching P*rn -- people do it for enjoyment while knowing they will never do what they see on the screen.

Yes, people who watch shows to learn to cook, generally, are relegated to PBS, but I truly believe PBS has always had the best shows. People who watch for entertainment resort to the brain candy that is FN.

Honored Contributor

On 1/24/2015 house_cat said:

I just found out what I'm watching. It's called The Mind of a Chef. I love it!

I enjoy many of the PBS cooking shows. Some are awful like Ciao Italia with Mary Ann Esposito. (longest running cooking show on TV). Her hair never moves. Also, Caprial and John's Kitchen. So bad, and filmed 10 years ago.

I enjoy Simply Ming, Cooking 80/20 with Robin Shea, Check Please, Martha Bakes, Cooking With Julie Taboulie, and Lidia's Italy.