Respected Contributor

@house_cat   Absolutely there is a differnce in flavor.  If you keep it sealed tightly so air doesn't get into you will definitely notice the difference in flavor.  You can actually smell the notes in the tea akin to when you do a wine tasting.

A lot of the typical boxed commercial teas, like Lipton's, are more "powdery" than whole leaf loose tea is and aren't the best of the crop, so to speak.  Just put your loose tea in an "over the cup rim" strainer or in a tea ball.

You have to boil the water anyway and the brewing or steeping time is the same.  Just pour some boiling water in the cup or pot first and swirl it around to warm the vessel and then pour boiling water over the tea in the strainer and let it steep.  

I have a little two cup size stainless steel tea pot that I use (looks like the kind they use in a fancy hotel restaurant) so I can do two servings at a time.  You can also buy empty tea bags that you can fill with your favorite bland and take for "on the go" so you can always have good tea.

I also have a larger four cup silver plated pot for when there is company.  I have a spoon sized especially for tea--one measure for one cup, two spoonfuls for two, etc.

Hope you have fun experimenting.  And since you can't tolerate caffeine you might like some of the herbal or fruit teas.

Respected Contributor

Re: The Tea Flavor Wheel

[ Edited ]

@aroc3435 

Thanks for your article.  I went to their website and plan to order from them.

I see that they do sell tea bags.   Do you know/think that their tea bags are good quality?   I know that commercial teabags are usually the dregs of the tea leaves but wonder if that is true of theirs.  

The website also reminded me that I love iced mango tea and also iced apricot tea.   Those are on my purchase list.

Interesting that they say to squeeze the tea bag . I've always read and been told (esp. when we lived in England) to never squeeze it.  

Respected Contributor

@Bridgegal   Glad my post interested you.  Their bagged tea is the same quality as the loose tea they sell.

As to squeezing tea bags around the spoon after brewing I don't do that.  Makes a bitter taste in my opinion.  And the taste of tea, as you may have surmised, is important to me.  I don't add cream or sugar to my hot tea and rarely add sugar to my iced tea; sometimes a thin slice of lemon or a sprig of fresh mint if I'm feeling festive.

Now that I'm a DC transplant I have to remember when I order iced tea that I specify that I don't want what they serve around here in many locations "sweet tea" which must be at least half a glass of granulated sugar.

Trusted Contributor

Re: The Tea Flavor Wheel

[ Edited ]

good for all the tea drinkers.

when I do have tea, I fall under the fruit & spicy categories.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

Currently, my favorite tea is Lady Grey. It's sometimes hard to find.  I had to switch to decaf and it's not as good, but overall, it's still my favorite variety.

@house_cat It's on amazon.Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@Bridgegal   Glad my post interested you.  Their bagged tea is the same quality as the loose tea they sell.

As to squeezing tea bags around the spoon after brewing I don't do that.  Makes a bitter taste in my opinion.  And the taste of tea, as you may have surmised, is important to me.  I don't add cream or sugar to my hot tea and rarely add sugar to my iced tea; sometimes a thin slice of lemon or a sprig of fresh mint if I'm feeling festive.

Now that I'm a DC transplant I have to remember when I order iced tea that I specify that I don't want what they serve around here in many locations "sweet tea" which must be at least half a glass of granulated sugar.

Yes, because of the tannins that make the tea bitter.   You are exactly correct.

If I have hot black or Earl/Lady Grey, tea I may put a bit of sugar in it or lemon but NEVER sweet iced tea.    Just lemon or mint or neither.   And nothing if the tea is fruit flavored or peppermint.   As you can tell, I'm picky about my tea.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@house_cat wrote:

Currently, my favorite tea is Lady Grey. It's sometimes hard to find.  I had to switch to decaf and it's not as good, but overall, it's still my favorite variety.

@house_cat It's on amazon.Smiley Happy

Yes. Thank you. I just received a 6 pack of boxes last week 👍🏻

~ house cat ~