Esteemed Contributor

Beef has become pretty expensive, so I look for it on sale. DH and I wouldn't eat 3 pounds of beef roast in a couple of meals, so I'd have to divide it into 2 or 3 meals....a $19 roast for one meal is out of my price range, but I could do 3 meals if I cut that roast into 1 pound increments. I probably need to start doing that since it would cheaper than ground beef per pound!

Honored Contributor

Just buy stew meat not the whole roast and have to bake and pressure cook it. All meat is tough.    Beef- stew meat, in chunks.

Honored Contributor

Don't buy your meat from a grocery store! Support your local ranchers/farmers and buy from them! The money you spend will then go to their families and help them continue to be. I haven't bought meat, chicken, fish, vegetables, fruit from a grocery store in the 5 years I have lived here. Support your locals ladies.

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

You want "sticker shock"?  Microscopic sized Short Ribs with little if any meat at $9+ per pound

Esteemed Contributor

Yikes, that is a lot to me too.

If anyone uses quite a bit of beef, you may be better off going to a meat packing store. There is one a few towns over from me, and a few weeks after covid hit, you couldn't find hamburger meat anywhere here. I called them, and at first got 1/4 of a beef, which was a lot, but I gave my elderly parents quite a bit of it. Later on I ordered 1/2 of one, which I shared with our two kids. This doesn't taste like anything I was getting at the store. It tastes like hamburger use to.

It averaged 3.99 a lb and there were roasts, different cuts of steaks, hamburger, stew meat and it seems like other in there. So you would need room in your freezer.

Super Contributor

We don't eat red meat any more. Haven't for years. We both have heart issues and the doc says to stay away. We eat alot of chicken and fish. Out of 6 kids, 4 are vegetarians. Same with the grandkids.  Growing up there were 5 of us and my parents always saved by eating from the garden alot. We also had chickens for meat and eggs. I haven't really paid attention to the price, but that is really getting up there.

Honored Contributor

I put a small chuck roast in slow cooker last night, making homemade beef vegatable soup right now.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

This post may be a little off topic, but I bought an electric meat grinder at Kohl's for about $50, with coupons, and grind my own hamburger.  Occasionally, beef will be approx $3/lb, and that's when I buy.  Using the meat grinder is easy and it takes longer to cut the meat than grinding it.  I can control fat content and I know what I'm eating.  No mystery meat for me.   

Respected Contributor

Grocery prices in my area are generally up.  It seems everytime I shop, it's increased.  I really try to shop only the sales, especially meat and especially now.  I've been lucky that chicken has been on sale a lot at both the grocery stores I shop.  I stock up and then freeze in individual portions.  Ground beef doesn't really go on sale too often here.  I was able to snag 2 sirlion tip roasts when they went on sale.  About 2 1/2 pound roast, one for $10 and change, the other for $12.  

Honored Contributor

Wow--I just bought beautiful top sirloin steaks from Whole Foods--about 1 1/2 pounds for under $12 !!!  that is about 2 meals for my fam of 3--we don't eat alot of meat anymore. and I buy my ground meats from a local farmer every 2 months that is wonderful. paid $57 for 12 lbs--that's $4.75 a lb for organic meats---but definitely see the high prices and the smaller packaging these days.