Honored Contributor

Re: The Polar Vortex is coming!! what bone warming foods are you making???

Beef vegetable soup

Honored Contributor

Well, it's still in the 90s around here, but that doesn't stop me from making comfort foods. I have to make two huge trays of mac and cheese for my church's harvest dinner this coming weekend. I know there are so many recipes shared on the boards. I'll have to do some researching to find one that looks really special.

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

A nice big meatloaf with mashed potatoes and peas!

Respected Contributor

Back up in central NY, I'd cook up a big pot of vegetable beef soup. Still do it down here in December/January when we get colder temperatures.

Respected Contributor

I just made pink lentil soup. Really easy. Boil water(you can use broth,but I didn't) then toss there lentils, chopped celery,carrots, peppers fresh or roasted, chopped tomatoes, may add some sundries ones, chopped parsley, soted onions(in olive oil),squeeze some garlic,,salt,pepper. Simmer it all together till lentils are totally cooked(usually 1 hour or less) and enjoy! Very healthy and delish.
Respected Contributor

On 11/8/2014 Barbarainnc said:

Taco Soup

2 pounds ground beef

1 large onion, chopped

2 cans whole kernel corn

2 cans chili beans or pinto beans

2 cans Rotel Tomatoes, mild

2 cans petit cut diced tomatoes

2 pkgs. Dry Ranch Dressing

2 pkgs. Taco Seasoning

Brown the ground beef with the onion, then add the canned veggies, juice and all. Then add the Ranch Dressing and Taco Seasoning. Stir, let simmer for a while.

Serve with Sour Cream, Shredded Cheddar Cheese and Frito Corn Chips or Nacho Doritos Recipe can be divided in 1/2.

This sounds yummy!

Super Contributor

When is this coming and what parts of the country? I haven't watched the weather so I don't know. The name just makes me shiver, polar vortex. Sheesh. I don't think I have a certain recipe or meal that I make when it turns colder, but I usually go for soup or stew of some kind. DH likes lentil soup, really any kind of soup. Soup is really nutritious and you can make more and freeze it, which I really like. I like vegetable beef soup, that's a good one that is a standby, it's so nutritious and it's all your healthy food groups in one pot! Dh likes it too and so that is one he's always happy to see I'm making.

What I love is one pot/crock pot cooking in fall and winter and EASY recipes, those with very few ingredients. The older I get the less I enjoy gathering lots of ingredients for a recipe.

I love those booklet type cookbooks you see at the checkout lanes in the grocery stores, slow cooker or one pot meals. They often have really easy and quick recipe ideas and you can often adjust the recipe a bit to make it a bit healthier, using lower fat ingredients, lower salt ingredients if that is something you care about.

Super Contributor

Just finished a pot of chicken chili...After it cooks for awhile will make a pan of cornbread with jalapeño peppers...
Honored Contributor

Even here in Tx. gonna be 22`. Course, I'm in the northern part of Tx. Amarillo, area. We had considered Fl. as a retirement area, but, chose Tx. instead. Weather is more stable. Don't want to get near any ocean. Nice to visit, but, no thanky to live around those places. Insurance is sky freaking high. Strong winds, high humidity, hurricanes, cultural influxes, crime, etc. Sharks !!!!!!!! gators !!!!!!!

Respected Contributor

That taco soup is one of my faves, and it's so easy and satisfying (: