Honored Contributor

Re: The Polar Vortex is coming!! what bone warming foods are you making???

Homemade Chili, Homemade Veg Soup or Stew

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Super Contributor

Calico bean soup with ham...it really sticks to your ribs and is so delicious!

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Esteemed Contributor

Just made a big pot of my mother's vegetable-beef soup! I remember as a child coming home from school on a cold dreary day and opening the door to the smell of that soup - one of my best childhood memories. And it didn't hurt my feelings a bit that she always made two chocolate pies when she made the soup!

Respected Contributor

Well, I've got some chili and stews planned, but it isn't supposed to get that cold here. We will have mid 60s and a potential 37 for a low on one day but mid to upper 40s the rest. Heck, it will be in the 80 at the beginning of the week here. I'm in south Georgia, so that is below average temps for here. I'll still snuggle up! Make sure you've got your pipes wrapped, windows sealed, thick window coverings like window quilts, and plenty of firewood or friends to snuggle with in one bed! Oh the good old days with 6 kids in one king! We hardly slept because we would talk all night with our cousins! Oh well, we have other snuggle companions now plus a few furry friends to help keep us warm. Some how the furry ones don't end up with their foots in your back like the kids do! Parenting can be painful!

Respected Contributor

Tigriss, you made me smile! I am writing from our weekend place which is on an island off the west coast of Florida and it has been damp and last weekend, it was cold: we had a wind chill-not something you deal with too often in these parts! I could not deal with real cold, but I love when it cools down here and I make our favorite cold weather foods.....and there is nothing like curling up with a warm fluffy standard poodle or a sweet border collie! Poodlepet
Respected Contributor

Yes, last weekend had a strong wind that went right through everyone at the Georgia Florida game! With wind like that it is a wonder all those people showed up for it! Florida got a surprise as we did, but soon it was 80 again. This crazy weather is killing my arthritis and fibro! A good snuggle is what makes it all feel better when we are all warm and comfy with comfy foods that you can eat while snuggling in front of the fire watching old movies as well! Now that is quality family time!

Esteemed Contributor

{#emotions_dlg.unsure} After a deep, long sigh from the Midwest Prairie, (it was cold last winter and I was sad to give up my sandals this fall!) I have hamburger meat thawing for chili this weekend. Will bake cornbread on top, as I read on a recent Q recipe swap. Thinking vegetable soup sounds good for the weekdays.

OT (off topic) -- I'm 4 years away from enjoying snowbird destinations, when husband retires. Noticed your south Georgia and Punta Gorda locals. Loved my month on St. Simons Island when I retired from education. Also have family near Punta Gorda. Will visit Dunedin, FL next fall to look around. It's fun to explore. Enjoy your 'above freezing temps' winter, ladies!

Sorry for OT. Back to food...

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

You should try Destin Beach, Florida and Jekyll Island near St. Simons. We go in the months where the sea turtles are hatching. It makes for a beautiful night and super fun for all! You have many natural, outdoor things to do on Jekyll! Then there is St. Augustine, Amelia Island and Anastasia Island. They are all great and are foot traffic friendly!

Valued Contributor

A big pot of homemade potato soup!

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/8/2014 tigriss said:

You should try Destin Beach, Florida and Jekyll Island near St. Simons. We go in the months where the sea turtles are hatching. It makes for a beautiful night and super fun for all! You have many natural, outdoor things to do on Jekyll! Then there is St. Augustine, Amelia Island and Anastasia Island. They are all great and are foot traffic friendly!

Thank you, tigriss. Love the foot action and being able to ride bikes. I know Jekyll is a wonderful bike island. Thanks so much.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau