Honored Contributor

Re: The Pioneer Woman--She buys ground beef?

My husband's family raised a few cows , but, they were grain fed that's what makes the difference. plenty of grass up in Ind. My part of Tx no wonder the meat is so tough the poor cows are eating whatever they can find with the occasional bale of green hay thrown to them. Why I'm Queen of the pressure cookers LOL

Husband has to have meat. I eat some type of meat twice a week, but, not

crazy over if it was suddenly not around I could survive.  Now, chicken, is a different story. Got to have my turkey and chicky.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624  check out the Jewelry forum

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@KKJ wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I don't mind her buying beef, I mind her awful recipes, she never leaves well enough alone.

I'm guessing you're referring to all the fat. Few times I watched I noticed she uses a lot of butter in her cooking.

@KKJ, JMO, it's not just the fat, to me she just keeps throwing in ingredients that have no business in the recipe. But like I said it's just my opinion.

@QVCkitty1.  I think she tries to get as many calories and as much fat as possible in everything she cooks.  I'm not a fan.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Most likely the ground beef is from their ranch and they are just giving back to their customers.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

Last year we went in with 3 other families and had a cow slaughtered and divided amongst us.  We're still working on it, but my husband agreed with me that we weren't fond of the meat.  The steaks are too fatty which causes flareups on my grill.  That's even if I cut some of the fat off because some of it is embedded.  I can also tell it was grass-fed because I can taste the grass. I don't care how much better it is for me; I don't want to taste grass.  The person who put it all together for us was not happy with it either.  We probably won't be doing it again.

@Icegoddess  I agree with you and my personal choice, and our family choice, was beef on good grass pasture with access also to grain.  That way they are lean but not so lean they are tasteless.  It's an art to learn to feed and and select beef.  

My dad raised them for almost 40 years.   He was so proud of his cattle and took such care of them!  And he invested a lot of thought and experimentation in what we ate--about size, age, etc.  

One summer my dad said  have them to make hamburger out of the whole steer (we cooked burgers for half the town many times!  And relatives and friends!) and the guy said absolutely not!  You are getting the tenderloin and the t-bone and porterhouse steaks and rid roasts!   I am not grinding something that good into hamburger!  

My dad was NOT happy and mother and I were delighted!  LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

I think Ree simply shows her recipes prepared with a grocery store product so her viewers can better relate to the ingredients used in her recipes.  

On Trisha’s show, the meat she uses comes out of her refrigerator wrapped in butcher paper.  She gives specifics as to the type of meat it is and the amount.   

My family, and my husbands family slaughtered the animals we raised.   We always killed pigs right before  Thanksgiving or the first of December depending on when it was cold enough.   The first meat that came to the house was the liver, which was wiped off and went into the freezer on the butcher block cutting board to partially freeze for better slicing, then wrapped and frozen.  

The huge hams with hock attached, were wrapped and put  into the freezer; one was cooked for Christmas and the other for Easter.    The strip of tenderloin was sliced and cooked first, bacon was cut into slab pieces then wrapped and frozen.   The front shoulders and everything else was taken to a local person who ground everything and seasoned it for sausage.  Occasionally my dad would have one ham sliced, or have pork chops cut out.   

The meat came back to us in a freezer paper lined box, and then the fun started as we proceeded to turn that ground meat into hand shaped sausage patties.  It was not unusual for us to have as much as 100 lbs of sausage to work up, depending on how many hogs we killed.   Mom would wrap a few packs of sausage for the freezer to be eaten first, but the rest was cooked on a wood fired cook stove in our basement, packed in wide mouth canning jars, and canned.   All of the leftover sausage fat was turned into bars of homemade lye soap, which was used in certain loads of laundry, and for grimy hands after farm chores.   

Butchering cows and hogs was a bigger production for my husbands family.   His uncle had a custom workshop with all the tools necessary to cut up and grind the meat anyway you wanted it.   As long as you helped uncle cut up  his meat, he gladly cut up yours at no charge.  This was just for family only and applied to deer, cows and pigs.   Only after he died in the mid 80’s, did we ever have to deal with an outside meat processor.   My husbands family always cured their hams, which was something totally new to me.   

Honored Contributor

if she is satisfied with the quality of her ground beef, i dont see why this is a big deal? actually, it isnt.....

i know where i personally like to go to buy my meats and where i avoid buying my meats. i am sure many of you are the same way.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

“We are on the commercial side of cattle ranching, and don't generally raise meat for our own use. We do occasionally use the meat for one of our own animals, but we use so much beef (and specific cuts of steak/roasts) that it isn't always practical to supply our own meat. Plus, we believe in the quality of beef in supermarkets---that's where our beef winds up! In addition, on my blog and on my show, I like to show beef the way it's packaged in stores so it's more clear when folks want to make one of the recipes. (Hope this all makes sense! Smiley Happy)”

- ree drummond

more interesting information about their operation:

https://thepioneerwoman.com/confessions/shipping-q-a/

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Very few farmers butcher their own beef.  I doubt if its even legal in most areas.  Well, maybe for their own use.

Respected Contributor

She may have been doing a bit on how to buy hamburger. I grew up on my grandparents' farm. We ate our own animals and had a cow and hogs each year processed locally and eventually in our own processing plant. We killed and cleaned out own chickens. We still process our deer there and for others that want to come use it or pay for it to be done. We eat loads of it all along with freshwater fish. I have a cousin that dairy farms and won't drink his own milk because it is handled too much. Part of the problem with modern food processes is that it is processed/handled too much opening up areas for contamination. We did most of our own and now still do fish and deer and most our veggies. I'm still stunned by all the different cuts of meat that we didn't call that growing up. I have had to learn how to buy meats in the store. I also didn't know what canned pumpkin was for or canned sweet potatoes. We always had our own out back. The same with greens. It feels weird not doing all that rinsing and cleaning when we buy bagged or frozen greens. Easier but just not what was "normal". I'm not sure why it wouldn't be legal to butcher your own meats. It is time consuming and a bit personal as you know the animal before and after. This is why you don't name your food. Butchering your own is legal everywhere. It doesn't make sense for it not to be. There are too many hunters and farmers out there for it not to be legal. Farmers don't live in the city limits so any city ordinances preventing keep animals won't apply let along any that ban killing/butchering. I'm pretty sure killing/butchering your own is legal and without health inspection as long as you don't sell it.