Honored Contributor

The Kitchen Item That Has Your "Story" It's SO Old!

Do you have a basic tool or pan you use SO much, you think, "If only this thing could speak!  It's been with us almost daily for all of these years!"?

I do!  It's the large pizza pan DH used for everything he cooked or warmed in the oven, to take items to the grill, even toast!  We used it, our sons used it, wshed it when they were on dishes, and we're still going strong!  I have no idea why he never used the regular bake sheet.

I was making homemade pizza, my hands covered in dough, when we were 27 and in our new house.  He came in and said "Let's put a larger diamond on that hand.".  (I would only let him get me a very small one in the beginning because we were trying to save for a house).  We went after dinner and he bought me a large pear shape I had looked at. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: The Kitchen Item That Has Your "Story" It's SO Old!

[ Edited ]

I have a green bundt pan that was my Moms, she bought it in the 70's when bunt cakes became popular, there is also a red pryex bowl and a wooden salad bowl which are still at Dads, I think I will take them one day soon.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

My grandma's wooden rolling pin, ( she was a gifted pie maker ) and my mom's Pyrex bowls, they aren't pretty, but I wouldn't trade them for anything.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

I have a wooden rolling pin that my brother made in high school shop class back around 1957.  I have my mother's meat grinder from decades ago.  And a bunch of butcher knives and silverware that we used.  We used silverware with the initials IS engraved on the handle.  When I was young I thought it was made specially for my mother because her first and last name had the initials I S.  Later in life I finally realized that the IS is for International Silver.  Duh.

I still have some Tupperware cereal bowls that I bought in 1965.

Esteemed Contributor

Two things: Mom's Mennonite Cookbook, which I finally retired to a safe place and bought another one to use; and, Mom's Revereware copper-bottomed pots. Nothing changes them. They look and cook the same as they did 70 years ago.

Honored Contributor

Most of my stuff I chuck out and always buying something new LOL

Do have a round Ultrex pan I bought from HSN long time ago and kept one of the old time pressure cookers that has the hissing steam thingy on the top

Nobody cooks any more 'cept me. We were eating at a catfish place the other day and I liked the breading on the fish and asked the young girl what kind of breading they use and that I always used cornmeal.

She goes "I don't know I never go back there. I just wait tables".

Ok. LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

Do have a round Ultrex pan I bought from HSN long time ago and kept one of the old time pressure cookers that has the hissing steam thingy on the top

Nobody cooks any more 'cept me. We were eating at a catfish place the other day and I liked the breading on the fish and asked the young girl what kind of breading they use and that I always used cornmeal.

Ok. LOL

Some of us cook.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

Ok. LOL

@SharkE,We like a very light breading and use House Of Autrey.  I think it's really good.

House Autry® Seafood Seasoned Breading Mix 8 oz. Box

Respected Contributor

My old Sabatier knives. I've had them for nearly 40 years. They're as familiar to me as my own hands. I'll be getting new knives shortly that won't require such frequent sharpening, but I'll never get rid of these. 

Honored Contributor

I have my original potato peeler and a little measuring spoon that has a slide on it to change the amount of what you need.  My one grandmother gave them to me in the wishing well at my bridal shower 41 years ago.  The potato peeler is no longer sharp but I can't get myself to throw it away.  Then I have my other grandmothers cast iron skillet that I use a few times a week.