Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

The Dirty Dozen & The Clean 15

Does everyone know and/or care about this? About which foods you should buy organic.

I haven't paid too much attention until my DD, who is very much into this, kept after me.

I bought organic blueberries once, and they were the most horrible I ever had!

Got blueberries yesterday, and they are very good! The grocery bill wasn't too far off from usual.

Valued Contributor

Re: The Dirty Dozen & The Clean 15

I don't put a huge amount of stock in organic labels, unless I've actually been to the farm and seen how they grow things. There are many local farmers who don't engage in the "pay to play" organic labels certification, but who use no pesticides, etc..

And there are organic farmers who grow in valleys, downstream from commercial farms who use every chemical under the sun.

I buy as much from farms that I know something about. If the organic produce looks better, I'll sometimes spend the money, but it depends how much more it is.

Also, there have been tests done from time to time on these investigative shows which find, on average, organic produce still has about 30% of the chemicals, etc...

I also know an apple farmer here in NY (large, well known orchard) They started planting organic trees then stopped. He said the organic apples tend to form a toxic fungus in this area when not sprayed. 

Eww.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I know what that are & it matters to me. I do buy frozen organic fruit I use in our smoothies. I love those little organic bananas. When I have those I eat one every morning when I get up. We should not have to worry about all the garbage in our food today but we do. Just the thought of what they do to beef makes me sick to my stomach literally. I can eat a small hamburger or a filet mignon but I will not longer eat ribeyes, prime rib, top sirloin etc. Just the thought makes me want to puke.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

I know what that are & it matters to me. I do buy frozen organic fruit I use in our smoothies. I love those little organic bananas. When I have those I eat one every morning when I get up. We should not have to worry about all the garbage in our food today but we do. Just the thought of what they do to beef makes me sick to my stomach literally. I can eat a small hamburger or a filet mignon but I will not longer eat ribeyes, prime rib, top sirloin etc. Just the thought makes me want to puke.

You are less likely to have issues with larger cuts of meat than with hamburger.  I try to buy organic meat when it is available, but I look for grass and grain fed, not grass fed alone.  It has a  little more fat and far better flavor.

I am not at all afraid of beef. I do buy hamburger from a local butcher and make sure it is in-store ground, or I grind my own from roasts put through the grinder of a KitchenAid mixer.  That way I know FOR SURE what I am getting.  I don't ever buy that stuff out of the big processing plants. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

You are less likely to have issues with larger cuts of meat than with hamburger.  I try to buy organic meat when it is available, but I look for grass and grain fed, not grass fed alone.  It has a  little more fat and far better flavor.

I am not at all afraid of beef. I do buy hamburger from a local butcher and make sure it is in-store ground, or I grind my own from roasts put through the grinder of a KitchenAid mixer.  That way I know FOR SURE what I am getting.  I don't ever buy that stuff out of the big processing plants. 

@Sooner I do buy grass fed hamburger but you are right about not having any fat in it. I also buy some that does have some fat in it. I just don't want to eat all that beef with all the hormones, antibiotics & who knows what else. DH says we should grind our own which we have done before.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Sooner I do buy grass fed hamburger but you are right about not having any fat in it. I also buy some that does have some fat in it. I just don't want to eat all that beef with all the hormones, antibiotics & who knows what else. DH says we should grind our own which we have done before.

I agree with DH!  Try grinding your own.  I look for a roast that has the right amount of fat in the muscle for the hamburger I want.  You can always add a tiny bit from the outside of the muscle if you want to bring it up to the percent you like.  To me, hamburger should taste as good as steak and have no gristle or a lot of fat in it.  I think the fat content of the roast is more important than exactly what cut it is.  I get them on sale usually.  Sometimes I even put the meat through the grinder twice. I take a little bit and make a tiny patty and decide what it needs--ground again, a little more fat, etc. before the final mixing.