Occasional Contributor

We have citrus trees in our back yard . I put my whole lemons and limes in the freezer and pull them out as needed. When they defrost they taste the same . 

Super Contributor

Just Bling wrote:

Holy smokes, within a week a lemon has gone from 69 cents to 99 cents and one of the upper scale grocery stores in the area have them for $1.99 each!

What's going on with the cost of citrus?

@Just Bling  At least you don't live in Japan; Simon and Martina from YouTube (they currently live in Japan) recently did a video on melons, comparing two choices, the taste and texture....  One was the "regular" one, priced at $80, and the other one, which was a super-premium kind, given for special occasions, was priced at $140.  No lie.  I don't know if they meant Canadian or US dollars (they're from Canada, so, I assume they meant Canadian currency equivalents).  Either way, THAT'S a ton of pocket change.  So, are you feeling better about the price of lemons?  :-)  

Respected Contributor

99cents each at my safeway in northern virginia.

Honored Contributor

We had 5/$1.00 this week.

Honored Contributor

79 cents

Honored Contributor

i dont know if i mentioned this.....my s/o sends me lemons and limes in the mail when i am not there so i  get them for "free" sometimes. he has a home in inland california and his lime tree in particular produces the most fantastic limes......a very pale green, super thin skinned, and filled with nothing but juice. i cannot believe how many people waste their lemons and limes when we go for a drive. he also has a wonderful pomegranate tree.

last week i bought 3 pound bags of lemons and limes at sams club. i LOVE making homemade sweet and sour mix for cocktails.

the lemon bag was $5.98 and the lime bag was $5.48.

i also bought avocados.....noticed that the price of those have gone up. i got a bag of 5 from sams club and that was $7.72 with the $1 discount (original price $8.72.) they were very good quality though.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@BeccaLou  Thank you for the suggestion!  Great idea but unfortunately, no stores in the area.

Respected Contributor

When we moved to Florida, I thought citrus would be dirt cheap: how wrong I was! Fourteen years ago, they were over a dollar.....

Fortunately, many neighbors had trees that bore more fruit than they could possibly use,, and they invited me to take what I needed.

It seems to me that lemons, limes and some varieties of oranges become available in the fall, and prices come down a bit....

Poodlepet2