Respected Contributor

Re: The Christmas cookie baking has begun!

There is nothing better than homemade cookies and candy at the holidays to make you feel like it really is traditionally being celebrated!!

New Contributor

I start baking the weekend after Thanksgiving. I bake at least 12 different varieties of cookies and freeze them all in Lock & Lock containers. I have a regular freezer and they all freeze beautifully. I use 9x13 lock & locks. I wish they would make them available again!

Honored Contributor

I don't have a deep freeze, but I do have a small freezer in the garage, that is where I store my cookies...my side by side freezer is pretty small so not a lot of room for goodies.

Honored Contributor

I always start my baking the weekend after Thanksgiving. I make about 10 types of cookies and countless types chocolate candies. I also make clear toy (barley sugar) candy.

I never freeze anything. First. there is no room in my freezers. Second, I don't care to serve baked goods that were frozen and I feel you should never freeze chocolate candies.

I just store them in tins lined with waxed paper between in a very cold section of my basement or sometimes in the cabinets in my garage.

They never have gone bad for me. If I lived in a hot climate, I might consider freezing, but Pennsylvania is plenty cold enough not to have to freeze my Christmas goodies.

Usually, by Christmas week, I am again baking some of the items my husband has gotten into. He has a sweet tooth and has been known to consume a batch or two of cookies by himself in a day or two.

I make sure to hide the cookies I make with yeast and filling because they are so time consuming and I don't want to bake them again.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm getting started this weekend, too. Been waiting to stock the pantry but the pre holiday baking sales here are not impressive!

DS loves WS peppermint bark so I'm going to attempt a dupe this yr. Why spend $28/lb? {#emotions_dlg.scared}

Valued Contributor

I started my cookie baking yesterday---a little early this year. I started with easy ones---snickerdoodles yesterday and Russian tea cakes today. I usually make about ten different kinds and take them to six or eight friends on Christmas Eve---and of course save a bunch for our family Christmas gathering. I have been doing it for about a dozen years---guess it is becoming a tradition!

Love hearing what people are baking, how they package and present them etc.

KK

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/6/2014 santorini said:

Wow, mominohio. That buttermilk sugar cookie recipe sounds delicious. If you are inclined to share, I would love to try it!Smile Thanks.

I would love this recipe too!!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Super Contributor

I can't be trusted to have baked cookies in the house, even in the freezer! What I do is spend a whole day making the cookie dough, then put it in quart-size ziplock freezer bags. Then I mark on the outside of the bag the temp and time for baking. I squeeze out all the air, press the bag flat and store in the fridge. When I need to make cookies, I take out the right amount and bake them.

I'll have five or six cookies ready to go at any time: Chocolate chips, my mom's lemon raisin sugar cookies (my favorite), white chocolate & cherry jumbles, snickerdoodles, peanut butter. Just the usual. I've also made almond sugar cookies and frozen the dough in logs - my own slice and bake.

Super Contributor

I bake several kinds of Christmas cookies, but don't freeze them. This week my DH mixed up a double batch of Peppernuts. The plan is to get at least some of them baked for our church's Christmas Auction this weekend (the batter is very stiff and keeps well in the frig). Peppernuts are hard little German cookies that seem to improve with age. I have a big investment in cookie cutters/seasonal sprinkles, so I'll do decorated sugar cookies for Thanksgiving and Christmas at some point. I also like to make an orange slice (oatmeal/coconut) cookie for the holidays; fresh orange slice candy is a seasonal treat our our local little IGA. Of course my DD's favorite is Monster Bars (with seasonal M & M's!). . .Let the baking begin. . .

Respected Contributor

On 11/6/2014 MartieHugs said:

I can't be trusted to have baked cookies in the house, even in the freezer! What I do is spend a whole day making the cookie dough, then put it in quart-size ziplock freezer bags. Then I mark on the outside of the bag the temp and time for baking. I squeeze out all the air, press the bag flat and store in the fridge. When I need to make cookies, I take out the right amount and bake them.

I'll have five or six cookies ready to go at any time: Chocolate chips, my mom's lemon raisin sugar cookies (my favorite), white chocolate & cherry jumbles, snickerdoodles, peanut butter. Just the usual. I've also made almond sugar cookies and frozen the dough in logs - my own slice and bake.

Martie ....I'm like you, I don't dare have a back stash of home baked goods made ahead of time, just a few is much safer. If I had a deep freeze that locked, I'd tell DH to hide the key but then he'd probably eat them all too ):