Super Contributor

Re: The Best Hamburger You Ever Had?

On 5/29/2014 ginkgo said:

In San Diego we loved the Kahuna Burger. In everyday life, Five Guys is always good.

Did you ever eat at the Hodads at Ocean Beach?
Esteemed Contributor

For years my fav was Mel's Drive-in hamburger in San Francisco (the old MEL'S WHEN I was in high school and college), until we moved to San Diego and discovered Hodad's in San Diego's Ocean Beach. Love, love, love their bacon cheeseburger (which was featured on "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives).

Esteemed Contributor

Have to add that now that we live in Portland (moved here 10 months ago), I've been very impressed with the Burgerville chain of very special fast food restaurants. Their beef is no hormones, no antibiotics; lots of oraganics; I can get a gluten-free bun; they have lots of seasonal specials; and, frankly, the burgers just taste great.

Valued Contributor

On 5/28/2014 maryebrown said:

It has to be SmacNally's in Ocracoke, NC. When we go to the OBX, we usually stay in Rodanthe. Every trip down there, we always drive to Hatteras and take the Ferry over to Ocracoke Island. It's well worth the trip! The burgers are delicious and juicy, the onion rings are yummy. DH and DS love the fries too. The dockside view is fun, as there are boats arriving or leaving with the adventurous for a 5 hour trip, hoping to catch The Big One for their dinner in the GulfStream waters!

Mary, that sounds like HEAVEN! There is nothing like enjoying good food at a water-side restaurant. Thanks for great description{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Respected Contributor

Five Guys and their fabulous fries!!!
Occasional Contributor

On 5/29/2014 stilltamn8r said:
On 5/29/2014 ginkgo said:

In San Diego we loved the Kahuna Burger. In everyday life, Five Guys is always good.

Did you ever eat at the Hodads at Ocean Beach?

Unfortunately not. We were on vacation and until now I'd never heard of it. Will keep it in mind should I be so lucky to go back to San Diego!

Frequent Contributor

Burger Up in Franklin, Tennessee -- all locally sourced. The Woodstock Burger has this amazing bacon and white cheddar to die for.

Otherwise, In & Out. The best of the best!

Esteemed Contributor

Texas Roadhouse makes a really good burger for a chain restaurant!! I'm going to have to try the ones from The Burger Joint at Le Parker Meridien next time I'm in midtown Manhattan!

Respected Contributor

On 5/29/2014 stilltamn8r said:
On 5/29/2014 bigsister said:

For me and my husband it was definitely at Tom Bergin's House of Irish Coffee in Los Angeles, on Fairfax Avenue near Wilshire Ave. I have actually been thinking of driving up there for a hamburger. It's about an hour drive from my home. I wish it were closer to my home.

Tom Bergins is one of the oldest established restaurants in Los Angeles, since about 1936.

If any of you live in Los Angeles, I recommend you make a trip to Tom Bergins. I just checked them out on Google and they have a very good site. Apparently they don't serve food until 5 p.m., but the old wooden horseshoe-shaped bar is open by 11 a.m. Their Irish Coffee is delicious.

Wow! Thanks for the top! The burgers t the Apple Pan re pretty good too...But now I am wondering if it is still around?

stilltamn8r, in case you are still reading this thread, today I called Tom Bergins and found out the "recipe" for the great hamburgers I enjoyed has changed with new owners over the past 15 years. But I would be willing to drive up there to see how they have changed. Also, they do serve bangers and mash which I love, so that's an alternative for me. There is a brunch menu on Sundays.

Valued Contributor

somewhere in western Kansas--- on the way home from Texas and Arkansas---big and yummy---a really small town