Trusted Contributor

Re: The Best Hamburger You Ever Had?

I have lived all over this country and the best burger ever is the Galley Boy Burger at Swenson's in N/E Ohio. It's a double cheeseburger with two special secret sauces. It is huge and at $2.90 it is a steal.

Honored Contributor

I prefer burgers grilled by my husband but back in the early 1970's when I was in college, we LOVED Kroll's (?) in Green Bay. Their burgers were on buttered toast.

Valued Contributor

Anyone remember Ollie's Trolley? I loved their burgers when I was a kid.

Trusted Contributor

There are lots of good burgers out there, but it's hard to beat the juicy, thick ones we cook on our grill here at home. I prefer mine on whole grain bread, cut in half, with mayo, catsup, Dijon or deli mustard, a big slice of sweet onion, sliced tomatoes, lettuce, and a pile of Kosher dill pickles on the side. No cheese unless I'm in the mood for blue. Bite of burger, bite of pickle. Bite of burger, bite of pickle. Wash down with ice-cold beer and repeat. Corn on the cob is probably my favorite side with this.

Trusted Contributor

On 5/28/2014 Usedtobeoxox said:
On 5/28/2014 MOM of Mason said: My own grilled chuck with melted cheddar on a toasted bun. I add grilled onions and mushrooms......Five Guys is pretty good too when I am too lazy to fire up the grill.....

I like Smashburger better than Five Guys if I am having a fast food burger

I agree! Smashburgers are the best fast food burgers I've ever had.

Contributor

Had another last nite. Buddy's Burgers in Rockford,IL. Two big beef patties, cheddar cheese grilled onions, coarse ground mustard, sauerkraut and some ketchup. Oh, and a side of funnel cake fries w/ powdered sugar and caramel sauce......ahhh, life IS good!
Super Contributor

I had two favorites - the pizza burgers at Lyon's (used to be chains in several states) and a place in Kansas City, MO (where I spent my jr. high/high school years) called Winstead's. They had great burgers, great fried egg sandwiches and great strawberry sodas.

Trusted Contributor

OP wrote:

there was a serpentine counter with stools (no tables) and the place was called Hamburger Train because (before my time) the burgers were brought to your place by a little train.

My, my how I miss those shops in NYC (like Zum Zum) with the winding counters and the stools! They were the best to go to. And Seattle had a little place that served their meals (usually hamburgers) on a model train that went around the restaurant.

The best burgers are made with Laura's Lean Beef (out of KY) from the grocery. It is grass fed and chemical free. Fantastic taste!

Super Contributor

On 5/28/2014 soonersis said:
On 5/28/2014 Usedtobeoxox said:
On 5/28/2014 MOM of Mason said: My own grilled chuck with melted cheddar on a toasted bun. I add grilled onions and mushrooms......Five Guys is pretty good too when I am too lazy to fire up the grill.....

I like Smashburger better than Five Guys if I am having a fast food burger

I agree! Smashburgers are the best fast food burgers I've ever had.

Do you guys have Habit Grill? I think they are even better than Smashburger-

Respected Contributor

For me and my husband it was definitely at Tom Bergin's House of Irish Coffee in Los Angeles, on Fairfax Avenue near Wilshire Ave. I have actually been thinking of driving up there for a hamburger. It's about an hour drive from my home. I wish it were closer to my home.

Tom Bergins is one of the oldest established restaurants in Los Angeles, since about 1936.

If any of you live in Los Angeles, I recommend you make a trip to Tom Bergins. I just checked them out on Google and they have a very good site. Apparently they don't serve food until 5 p.m., but the old wooden horseshoe-shaped bar is open by 11 a.m. Their Irish Coffee is delicious.