Respected Contributor

The Best Hamburger You Ever Had?

Since it's National Hamburger Day, I was thinking of the place that had the best burgers I'd ever eaten anywhere: Hamburger Train, just off the Avenue of the Americas on 54th St. in NYC. It was a little hole-in-the-wall and didn't even have a listed phone number, but oh, the burgers! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup} They were cooked just right and served on a soft bun with sauteed onions; the only other things on the menu was fries (which were excellent) and sodas. Everyone from clerks to high level corporate executives to news anchors from CBS across the street ate there, and it was always packed; there was a serpentine counter with stools (no tables) and the place was called Hamburger Train because (before my time) the burgers were brought to your place by a little train. I was so sorry to hear they closed down; last time I passed the building it had been turned into a little museum of some sort. {#emotions_dlg.crying} {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

What about the rest of you - what's the best burger you've ever had?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: The Best Hamburger You Ever Had?

I have to say the ones my mom use to make....she made the best darn burgers...ever....all my friends use to rave about them, too....long after she had died....

Respected Contributor

Cafe Adrift in Anacortes, Wa.

They only use local grassfed beef. I don't know how they do it, but between the burger, the delicious bun, the seasonings, the caramelized red onions, and the rosemary Fries that come with it, it's good eatin'.

You can also choose to add extras like local bacon, gorgonzola cheese, mushrooms, etc.

I'm a purist, so I order the basic.

Oh, and I like my own and my mom's burgers, too. Smiley Happy

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

Jules5280, who posts here, once mentioned a great hamburger place in Salina, KS, but now I forgot the name! It's supposed to be well known.

Maybe she'll post here and tell us again...

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Contributor

What was Mama Circles secret? Mine are always dry-ish.

Funky - my favorite place (Buds) was similar to the Train. Oh the grease... {#emotions_dlg.blushing} Buds had burgers (pickles & onions only), fries and sodas. You could tell an out of towner because they would ask for something different, additional. Cheese was an option until 20 years in.

Regular Contributor

David's Burgers in Little Rock, AR! Great quality beef, meat is fresh never been frozen, cooked when ordered, basic burger but they do have a variety of different cheeses if you want a cheeseburger, fries from fresh potatoes are also not cooked until ordered.
Regular Contributor

Meant to include they are consistently very busy not just at ""meal time""
Contributor

I'm not Jules but that's the Cozy Inn (Salina). THE best burgers EVER!! They're the little ones (I can't think of the name). They're famous!! It's a little walk up window joint. If I remember right, there may be a stool or two inside, but that's it. Americana at it's finest!

Honored Contributor

There's a local diner that makes scrumptious burgers. And their french fries are excellent too.

Trusted Contributor

Best Burger...At Bobby's Burgers ( Bobby Flay) restaurant. Many different varieties-- can't pick one favorite.