Honored Contributor

Re: Thanksgiving - what kind of bread do you use for dressing?

On 11/6/2014 betteb said:
On 11/6/2014 rudy said:

Cornbread, what else?!

Ok Rudy, I will try..but no real written recipe.

2 boxes Jiffy Mix mixed up to the package directions, to this add, 1 med chopped onion, the top third of a bunch of celery, chopped and a couple of tabls of good quality rubbed sage.

Bake at 375 for 30-40 minutes. Cool and break it up into a large mixing bowl. Add 1 bag of Pepperidge Farms Cubed Stuffing Mix and enough Swanson Low Sodium Chicken broth to make it pretty moist. 3-4 cans I think..

mine is very similar to yours....A day or two before Thanksgiving Day, I make a 9x13 inch pan of cornbread and bake my onions and celery in it. After it cools, I crumble it up into gallon freezer bags and refrigerate til Thanksgiving morning.....when ready to finish my dressing I add a lot of sage...I don't measure it but I can tell by a taste and I know it is more than 2 tablespoons, parsley, black pepper, and a t of poultry seasoning. I add one bag of Pepperidge Farm cornbread stuffing mix, 3 eggs, one stick of melted butter, and enough chicken or turkey stock to moisten it enough to mix....I use my glass punch bowl to do the mixing as it is the biggest bowl I have that will hold it all.

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/6/2014 lovesrecess said:
On 11/6/2014 rudy said:

Cornbread, what else?!

2 boxes Jiffy Mix mixed up to the package directions, to this add, 1 med chopped onion, the top third of a bunch of celery, chopped and a couple of tabls of good quality rubbed sage.

Bake at 375 for 30-40 minutes. Cool and break it up into a large mixing bowl. Add 1 bag of Pepperidge Farms Cubed Stuffing Mix and enough Swanson Low Sodium Chicken broth to make it pretty moist. 3-4 cans I think..

mine is very similar to yours....A day or two before Thanksgiving Day, I make a 9x13 inch pan of cornbread and bake my onions and celery in it. After it cools, I crumble it up into gallon freezer bags and refrigerate til Thanksgiving morning.....when ready to finish my dressing I add a lot of sage...I don't measure it but I can tell by a taste and I know it is more than 2 tablespoons, parsley, black pepper, and a t of poultry seasoning. I add one bag of Pepperidge Farm cornbread stuffing mix, 3 eggs, one stick of melted butter, and enough chicken or turkey stock to moisten it enough to mix....I use my glass punch bowl to do the mixing as it is the biggest bowl I have that will hold it all.

You do need a big bowl, LOL. I probably use more than 2 tbls of sage, I just toss it in and judge by the color and the smell. That's why I said no real written recipe. That's the way my mom cooked. A pinch of this, a dash of that, so that is the way I learned.Smile

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Respected Contributor

Cornbread,some slices of white loaf bread, and that's it.Southern cornbread dressing. Is my favorite food of all time.
Respected Contributor

On 11/6/2014 rudy said:

Cornbread, what else?!

ditto!!!

Super Contributor

On 11/6/2014 rudy said:

Cornbread, what else?!

Thanks for sharing your recipe, betteb!

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/6/2014 rudy said:
On 11/6/2014 rudy said:

Cornbread, what else?!

rudy, after I posted, I realized your post was a statement rather than a question{#emotions_dlg.blush}

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Super Contributor

On 11/6/2014 rudy said:
On 11/6/2014 rudy said:

Cornbread, what else?!

rudy, after I posted, I realized your post was a statement rather than a question{#emotions_dlg.blush}

It could have easily been interpreted either way, so I do appreciate your recipe! Just shows how sweet you are. Thanks again... Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

On 11/6/2014 Mochahoney said:

do you also use cormbread? I mix crumbled cornbread with cubed plain loaf white bread.

Me too, Mochahoney! I use about half cornbread and half dried white (torn) bread. I like to add celery, onions, eggs, lots of sage, salt & pepper, small slivers of turkey (from cooking the turkey neck) and enough turkey broth (from cooking that turkey neck) to make a soppy mess. My dad's family would have a second dressing with added osters.

Honored Contributor

I've never heard of using biscuits. That sounds so good.

Valued Contributor

On 11/6/2014 KentuckyWoman said:

I use day old biscuits. I make them as soon as I get out of bed on the morning before Thanksgiving. I make about three dozen. My recipe for dressing is an old family favorite handed down from my grandmother. Mother never stuffed the turkey. She served it as a side dish and used a one half cup ice cream scoop to make it in ""dressing balls."" That's how most people around here make their dressing.

My mom would also use her homemade biscuits for her dressing. She would ""save"" some a few days before she made dressing & crumble them up along with her homemade cornbread (no sugar added). We never stuffed the turkey either..dressing was/is a side dish for our family.