Trusted Contributor

Re: Thanksgiving - what kind of bread do you use for dressing?

We use plain white bread, a couple of biscuits torn up to small pieces and cornbread. Very Southern and yummy good Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

I'd like to say that I use day old French bread the way my mom did when we were kids. But, I use regular white bread. Sometimes I use the package stuffing mix and just "doctor" it up.

Honored Contributor

Well I make cornbread for my dressing but IMO you don't want white sandwich bread that is squishy. If you're going to use white bread use something with some texture.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I get an unsliced loaf of sourdough bread. I cut that into small cubes and, in a gallon-size ziplock baggie, I shake it with a little olive oil and several herbs and spices. Then I lay it out on a baking sheet and toast it in the oven. After it is COMPLETELY cooled, I put it into a Lock & Lock bowl if I'm not ready to finish the recipe yet. If I'm finishing the recipe at that time, I still let it cool completely first.

Sourdough holds up nicely and you don't end up with mushy bread dressing. Mushy bread skeeves me out.

Respected Contributor

I do a simple bread dressing and use the "Slow Cooker Stuffing Recipe" from allrecipes dot com. I also like a mix of breads - always sourdough, either italian or french and leftover white bread. (We rotisserie our bird so stuffing the turkey isn't possible - besides I LOVE leftover dressing, so make a lot!)

This year should be interesting, because I recently bought a bread machine and found a fabulous online store for different bread mixes, so I'm saving parts of the loaves in the freezer to make stuffing. LOL

Denise
Honored Contributor

I always use the plain Pepperidge farms stuffing croutons.

Honored Contributor

I don't dress in bread.

Honored Contributor

seasoned pepperidge farms bread cubes.....1 bag of herb seasoned, 1 bag of country style.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

On 11/6/2014 denisemb said:

I do a simple bread dressing and use the "Slow Cooker Stuffing Recipe" from allrecipes dot com. I also like a mix of breads - always sourdough, either italian or french and leftover white bread. (We rotisserie our bird so stuffing the turkey isn't possible - besides I LOVE leftover dressing, so make a lot!)

This year should be interesting, because I recently bought a bread machine and found a fabulous online store for different bread mixes, so I'm saving parts of the loaves in the freezer to make stuffing. LOL

That sounds delicious.

Respected Contributor

Use store plain white bread, unsliced dressing bread if it is sold that way.