Esteemed Contributor

Re: Thanksgiving - what kind of bread do you use for dressing?

I make two different dressings. We don't stuff the bird and use casserole dishes to make each one. With one I use cornbread for a traditional southern stuffing and the other stuffing is made with pain de campagne bread. I get that bread at Fresh Market like another poster mentioned. I live in NC now after living in NY for most of my life and it is really hard to find good bread here. You can't just go to a regular grocery store and get a good crusty bread like you can in NY but Fresh Market probably carries what I am most used to in a crusty bread.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Like my mom, I always use a good loaf of Italian bread from the bakery. Has to be bakery bread! Smiley Wink
Contributor

Brewhaha, you are a riot. Do you do stand-up comedy?{#emotions_dlg.tt1}

Honored Contributor

I have started saving leftover bread for my Thanksgiving dressing. I use a combination of cornbread, leftover hotdog and hamburger buns, and leftover biscuits.
Super Contributor

Cornbread, what else?!

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/6/2014 Hooty said:

I use Pepperidge Farm herb seasoning stuffing mix along with cornbread made from Jiffy corn bread mix! I like using the herb mix, then all I have to add is black pepper for seasoning!

This. My mom used to make the cornbread from scratch, but I use Jiffy and Pepperidge Cubed Stuffing Mix.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Respected Contributor

I use day old biscuits. I make them as soon as I get out of bed on the morning before Thanksgiving. I make about three dozen. My recipe for dressing is an old family favorite handed down from my grandmother. Mother never stuffed the turkey. She served it as a side dish and used a one half cup ice cream scoop to make it in ""dressing balls."" That's how most people around here make their dressing.

Honored Contributor

My sister makes her stuffing using Jiffy Corn Bread mix. She makes it using 2/3 cup buttermilk instead of milk. Uses almost twice as much buttermilk as milk & it's really moist. I was crumbling it up one year at Christmas & it was really moist I could not quit eating it. LOL!!! My sister said quit eating that I need it for my stuffing.

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/6/2014 rudy said:

Cornbread, what else?!

Ok Rudy, I will try..but no real written recipe.

2 boxes Jiffy Mix mixed up to the package directions, to this add, 1 med chopped onion, the top third of a bunch of celery, chopped and a couple of tabls of good quality rubbed sage.

Bake at 375 for 30-40 minutes. Cool and break it up into a large mixing bowl. Add 1 bag of Pepperidge Farms Cubed Stuffing Mix and enough Swanson Low Sodium Chicken broth to make it pretty moist. 3-4 cans I think..

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

OP here. Thank you for all the replies. Think I'm going with Jiffy cornbread and either Pepperidge stuffing or hearty fresh loaf. A mixture of the two sounds like a good fit. Since I've never used cornbread, I don't know if it would be too rich.