Respected Contributor

Re: Thanksgiving not so favorites.

Another one here who won't eat that nasty green bean casserole.  Just give me some fresh green beans, please.

I also don't like cranberry sauce of any kind.  Just not a cranberry fan.  

All of the rest of the traditional Thanksgiving meal is fine with me.   I prefer my sweet potatoes just baked without all of the OJ and sweet stuff but I'll scrape off marshmallows and eat them.

Trusted Contributor

I'm really not into the green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, and even the turkey.  I take one piece turkey and that's about it. 

On the flipside, I LOVE the stuffing and usually fill up on that. 

Strange, I know.  lol

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Anything sweet potatoes and cranberry sauce 

Super Contributor

There is nothing on the Thanksgiving table I won't eat. All year round I eat non-processed sustainable food and on Thanksgiving we   go all out. On a regular holiday I don't eat from the day before to have plenty of room for EVERYTHING. Love ir all and then there are leftovers for later ! 

Regular Contributor

Slimy pearl onions in anything!  Canned yams or canned pumpkin.  Green bean casserole, mother made it with cream of celery because I am allergic to mushrooms, but still slimy and gross. I guess asparagus too, canned or fresh or anything else SLIMY!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Some things mentioned here I have never tasted, like green bean casserole or sweet potatoes with marshmallows.  My mother never was into food fads and canned soup foods and I am not either.

My family will eat turkey, but it is not a favorite, so we usually eat a chicken or two or three; we have had a duck or goose on occasion too.  My family will eat the canned cranberry sauce, and the homemade version too.

We don't do mincemeat pies, though my mother loved them, she was the only one who did; they were served in my childhood home.

The mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing and candied yams are favorites and we eat those items all year around.  I make fresh steamed green beans...love them.

Homemade pumpkin pies, from field grown pumpkins...no canned yucky pie filling, apple and pecan pies are favorites too.

It makes me wonder why people have items on their Thanksgiving table that they don't like.  Time to break from tradition and only have what everyone loves.

I make a stuffed turkey/chicken dinner throughout the year, not just for Thanksgiving or Christmas.  It is always a bang for your buck compared to other foods and the warm oven helps keep your home cozy when it is freezing out.

Honored Contributor

Even when I was little, I never liked the turkey/ham.

Wet, moist, sometimes gristle-y...(shudder).

And gravy? Nope, not then & not today.

Honored Contributor

My least favorite Thanksgiving dish is actually the turkey.  I will eat one slice and I'm good until next year.

My second least favorite were the doctored up canned candied yams with the marshmallows my m-i-l would make when she hosted the dinner.  She was a great one for opening cans and trying to make it better.  She would also cook the turkey until it was falling off the legs.  She kind of ruined Thanksgiving dinner for me.  

As a kid growing up, with the exception of a jar of onions for the creamed onions our Thanksgiving dinner was always fresh produce. 

Trusted Contributor

Sweet potato casserole with marshmallows, canned jellied cranberry and pumpkin pie are a NO for me. 

Honored Contributor

My extended family was strict about what we ate with our turkey, dressing and gravy; there had to be mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green beans, deviled eggs, whole berry cranberry sauce, rolls, and pumpkin pie.  I think we had a chiseled stone tablet menu somewhere, so there was never a need to ask “what are we eating”, as this was all that was ever acceptable to my family.  There were NO conversations about adding something else, trying something new, etc.  

In my house and family of 4, we only want plenty of turkey breast, dressing, gravy, cranberry sauce, and a jello salad for dessert, period.   Thru the years we have decided what the important foods are to us, and this is it.  If I add a vegetable anyway, it goes untouched, so I stick to only the very basics, and everyone is happy.