Respected Contributor

Re: Thanksgiving - Make Ahead Dishes

I wanted to check in...the croc pot mashed potatos turned out we.. Used sour cream, cream cheese and re skins. Made the traditional way and placed in croc pot . covered with a terry cloth and they stayed fine.

Many thanks all!

Honored Contributor

My make ahead mashed potatoes worked too. I made them on Wednesday - a 5# bag of Yukon golds, mashed with a block of cream cheese, some heavy cream, and glob of Irish butter. I took them out in the morning g, to sit on the counter, then in the crockpot on medium for about an hour.  Everyone loved them, some people had seconds. 

Honored Contributor

@chi5925 wrote:

@SoonerLater wrote:

This is a simple hot fruit compote made with canned fruit. This is an excellent side dish to serve along with a breakfast or brunch.  Or top the warm fruit with some lightly sweetened whipped cream or whipped topping and toasted nuts or coconut for an easy and tasty dessert.Feel free to substitute with some other kinds of canned or dried fruits. Add pineapple chunks, mandarin orange slices, or dried prunes to the mixture. Raisins, dried cherries or dried cranberries can be added as well. Add extra orange juice or some apple cider or cranberry juice to the fruit if you'd like more liquid.

1 (15-ounce) can sliced peaches

1 (15-ounce) can dark red cherries

1 (15-ounce) can sliced pears

1 (15-ounce) can apricot halves

4 tablespoons packed brown sugar

4 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon Gather the ingredients.

Drain fruit.

Combine ingredients in slow cooker.

Cover slow cooker and cook spiced fruit on LOW for about 3 to 5 hours.

Serve hot from slow cooker.

Variation Instead of ground cinnamon, add a 3-inch cinnamon stick to slow cooker. Dried cranberries or raisins may be added to fruit mixture. Add 1 small can (8 ounces) of pineapple chunks with juice. For a thicker compote, replace canned sliced peaches with a can of peach pie filling.

sounds great -- but am I missing something?  if you drain all the fruit, where's the liquid coming from?  or did I not read the recipe correctly?

TIA

@chi5925 Sorry I didn't get back before now!  By "drain" I guess pour off some of the juice and save some in case you need it is better.  You need some of the juice but you don't want more juice than fruit.  You can eyeball it.  

Some people bake this, but it is perfect for a crock pot because it just gently cooks and the house smells great.  After the first time or two I made it, I just put it together now to our taste.  It was very good yesterday I will say!  

Any time you have fall company it is perfect--just for the smell!  Even with a bag of Pepperidge Farm Bordeaux it's perfect!  

Super Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@chi5925 wrote:

@SoonerLater wrote:

This is a simple hot fruit compote made with canned fruit. This is an excellent side dish to serve along with a breakfast or brunch.  Or top the warm fruit with some lightly sweetened whipped cream or whipped topping and toasted nuts or coconut for an easy and tasty dessert.Feel free to substitute with some other kinds of canned or dried fruits. Add pineapple chunks, mandarin orange slices, or dried prunes to the mixture. Raisins, dried cherries or dried cranberries can be added as well. Add extra orange juice or some apple cider or cranberry juice to the fruit if you'd like more liquid.

1 (15-ounce) can sliced peaches

1 (15-ounce) can dark red cherries

1 (15-ounce) can sliced pears

1 (15-ounce) can apricot halves

4 tablespoons packed brown sugar

4 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon Gather the ingredients.

Drain fruit.

Combine ingredients in slow cooker.

Cover slow cooker and cook spiced fruit on LOW for about 3 to 5 hours.

Serve hot from slow cooker.

Variation Instead of ground cinnamon, add a 3-inch cinnamon stick to slow cooker. Dried cranberries or raisins may be added to fruit mixture. Add 1 small can (8 ounces) of pineapple chunks with juice. For a thicker compote, replace canned sliced peaches with a can of peach pie filling.

sounds great -- but am I missing something?  if you drain all the fruit, where's the liquid coming from?  or did I not read the recipe correctly?

TIA

@chi5925 Sorry I didn't get back before now!  By "drain" I guess pour off some of the juice and save some in case you need it is better.  You need some of the juice but you don't want more juice than fruit.  You can eyeball it.  

Some people bake this, but it is perfect for a crock pot because it just gently cooks and the house smells great.  After the first time or two I made it, I just put it together now to our taste.  It was very good yesterday I will say!  

Any time you have fall company it is perfect--just for the smell!  Even with a bag of Pepperidge Farm Bordeaux it's perfect!  

Thanks Sooner for response.  I'm anxious to try this recipe!