Honored Contributor

Thank you for making my dressing a hit

You guys guide me from reg white bread (soft and mushy) to the majority preferred cornbread. I used 1 box of Jiffy mix and supplemented the rest with good sourdough bread. Will prepare again for Christmas. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Honored Contributor

Re: Thank you for making my dressing a hit

Jiffy works every time. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup} If you don't have sourdough, toast some white bread and you are good to go!

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Trusted Contributor

You know, Pepperidge Farm has an excellent pre-seasoned cornbread dressing mix. You just prepare it according to package directions and stir in some chopped, sauteed onions and celery. If you like, you can add crumbled, browned sausage, chopped apples, water chestnuts, walnuts -- whatever you like in your cornbread dressing. Spread the prepared mixture in a greased baking pan, spray the top with cooking spray, and heat it in a 350 degree oven till heated through and getting a little brown on top. Serve with turkey and your favorite gravy. Absolutely delicious and SO easy. No one will know you didn't make it from scratch.

Pepperidge Farm, Cornbread Stuffing, 14oz Bag (Pack of 2)

Esteemed Contributor

I got some amazing tips from here as well! Thanksgiving was perfect!

I would recommend to everyone, based on my own experience, to do a test run prior to making anything packaged.

I got many suggestions to make bagged stuffing, so I tried it out and it was extremely salty.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Esteemed Contributor

There is nothing like good cornbread dressing

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

OP here - I had sausage and bacon (salty) so I was leery of seasoned bread package. So many crumbs versions as opposed to cubes in my market. So I got the loaf of sourdough. Glad I did.

Different note - my pastry cream in my fresh fruit tart was a bit runny. It looked pretty before I sliced it. It wasn't soupy but it was't a stiff, clean slice. Does pastry cream even cut clean? I cooked the cream in the pot and it was thickened. I put it in the fridge 6 hrs to serving it. Not overnight.

Super Contributor

Yahooey, (cute name)

I don't know what problem you were having with dressing, but happy yours turned out to be a hit.

You know, you can always use half cornbread and half white bread. Just spread your single slices out on a cookie sheet and toast them in the oven, which can be done anytime ahead.

Then, add canned chicken broth to the mix of sautéed onion, bell p. and celery when you assemble your dressing, after you've crumbled the toasted white bread and added the cornbread.

ALWAYS add a few whipped eggs (yolk and white) to your mixture, then season. This will fluff up your dressing and gives a light touch to the breading, and kinda gives it a soufflé texture. Drizzle with butter before you bake. So EASY.

Honored Contributor

Great idea getting away from using white bread for sure! The sourdough is great, isn't it?

I use only sourdough bread that I cut into cubes, season with garlic powder and some herbs, shaken with a little olive oil, and toasted. It holds up really well and makes that component flavorful without going overboard.

Honored Contributor

You can also add a can of cream of chicken or mushroom soup to your dressing as well as your broth. Intensifies the flavor, IMO. Taste before you add your own salt, though. I had the best dressing ever for Thanksgiving. Made a big batch of it and froze half of it (uncooked) for Xmas. I used mostly cornbread but added a bag of the Pepperidge Farm herb croutons. I also froze half of my turkey after it was cooked. It's just the 2 of us and hubby is not good with leftovers more than 2 days straight.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

On 11/29/2014 chickenbutt said:

Great idea getting away from using white bread for sure! The sourdough is great, isn't it?

I use only sourdough bread that I cut into cubes, season with garlic powder and some herbs, shaken with a little olive oil, and toasted. It holds up really well and makes that component flavorful without going overboard.

I think you mentioned this to my problem on my other thread. I took your idea w/o the seasoning due to meat and afraid of saltiness. I wanted another bread with cornbread and the sourdough was perfect. Nice texture and it holds up well.