Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio - I was hoping to collect lots of items in that classic, lovely holly pattern, but once it became clear that no new pieces were coming, I sold what I had. I do still have multiples of everything that was made available in the red snowflake pattern (which also coordinates nicely with all my discontinued TT red polka dot entertaining pieces) and use them every year; I wish this pattern would make a comeback...

baker.PNG

snowflake-mugsplates.PNG

Honored Contributor

Re: Temptations

[ Edited ]

@loriqvc 

@Mominohio 

I love these pieces wish I had seen these!  I'm with you hope Tara will bring back the older patterns for those of us who have been collecting for years!

Just saw this while browsing but don't really need anymore  (of course, I lie to myself😉🙈) sorry here's the item #: H219272 (seasonal) or H219271 (FL)...just in case you'd like to check it out

96088593-743F-4DAC-B7F2-1D4BC9FFF6C8.png

Valued Contributor

@loriqvc wrote:

@Mominohio - I was hoping to collect lots of items in that classic, lovely holly pattern, but once it became clear that no new pieces were coming, I sold what I had. I do still have multiples of everything that was made available in the red snowflake pattern (which also coordinates nicely with all my discontinued TT red polka dot entertaining pieces) and use them every year; I wish this pattern would make a comeback...

baker.PNG

snowflake-mugsplates.PNG

I have everything shown in your post too.  I still use and keep the tote in my vehicle for hot and cold items.

Respected Contributor

my wife has been wanting to get temptation mugs for a long time. i just ordered them in classic. 16 once is a good size mug.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio I'm interested in finding out why you throw away the crazed TT. Many of my Old World Green are crazed from age and use, but they still work well. Are they a health hazard? My grandmother's ironstone was crazed, but she continued using them. I've told my DD it's fine to use the crazed bakeware. Sincerely interested in what you think.

BTW, I just love those pieces you posted!!

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@Mominohio I'm interested in finding out why you throw away the crazed TT. Many of my Old World Green are crazed from age and use, but they still work well. Are they a health hazard? My grandmother's ironstone was crazed, but she continued using them. I've told my DD it's fine to use the crazed bakeware. Sincerely interested in what you think.

BTW, I just love those pieces you posted!!

@PA Mom-mom 

I throw them out for a couple of reasons. 

First, I've read that when the glaze on a dish crazes, it will allow water, juice and bacteria to enter into those tiny cracks and be retained.

A couple of things can happen. First bacteria that is trapped on something used for food can be a health issue. Second, the continued cracking of the glaze, and taking on water can weaken the ceramic and open the possibility to the ceramic itself cracking in use, causing harm if someone is removing it from an oven or something similar. And once the crazing starts, it gets worse every time the piece is heated or is gotten wet in washing.

Also, I have a strict rule in my house. I simply cannot stand to have things that are broken or damaged. It's just a personal quirk, but I don't like to keep anything that is not working (I'm not one to think we could fix it later,,,,,it has to be fixed and usable right now, or it's out!). I will not keep a chipped or cracked dish, baker, knick knack, anything. It has driven me nuts to clear out the homes of older relatives after they have passed, and most of what they own is chipped and broken and reguled. I know that for the most part, any antique value isn't there, and even if it has some sentimental value, I just can't stand to have it around. 

And I just don't like the look of things that we are eating from to be crazed. I know a lot of newer things are made with a crackle finish or a crazed look, to make them look aged. Everything from furniture finishes to ceramic decor pieces. That I don't mind. But when I set a table or buffet I want the dishes and serveware to look nice and new, even if they are very old antiques. 

I have owned several patterns of Pfaltzgraff, all made in the USA, and one pattern in particular Village, has always been notorious for crazing, more so than many other of their patterns. I have a pretty big set of that, the base of which was my mom's back when we were in our teens, and I have expanded the set greatly over the years. Even those pieces, when they craze, just have to go. 

I just don't like the look of dish and serveware that is crazed and full of brown lines and cracks. I know a lot of people still use it for years like that with no real issues. I just have a "thing". Probably need therapy! LOL

Regular Contributor

I agree. Tara sure looks in the family way. Good luck to her and her family.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio  Thanks for your explanation! I get what you are saying. Maybe it doesn't bother me because of my grandmother's stoneware. However, some of those OW pieces will be needed at Thanksgiving. Hopefully the time spent in the oven will not break them! smileyfrustratedd: