Trusted Contributor

Re: Temptations TSV this week

I'm extra cautious with my Temp-tations due to the breakage problems I've read about.  For instance, I don't take them straight from the frig into a hot oven.  I've been using Temp-tations since they first came out on the Q and have not had any problems with breakage.  I believe I have one piece that has crazing on it.  I wash them all in the dishwasher and they come out looking brand new every time.  I think for the price, they can't be beat.  Also, I really like their designs.

Valued Contributor

I've stopped buying TT bakers but I do like the dinnerware stuff.   Plates, bowls, mugs, butter dishes etc. I have a lot of them in various patterns/colors which I use all the time.  Easy to clean and seem to be durable enough.   I even use the plates in my toaster oven with no problems so far.

Respected Contributor

Thank You for your replies.  My two youngest Boys (Culinary Arts) generally use large pots and pans for range and oven.  So, I'm wanting the Bakeware more for large serving dishes as opposed to baking much in them.  

I do need new stuff, and am really liking the looks of the Lace Pattern, and the deep dinner plates, etc.  I see less mess...  I'm gonna go for it.

Thanks All

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Honored Contributor

@Mistic

I absolutely love my Temptations for serving dishes!  I've collected the blue Old World and Blue floral lace for many years.  I bought many sets and they mix & match nicely.  I like the "lid it's " for  cheese tray, rolls, etc.  To me they mix well with my Fiesta pieces.

I have  red and green pieces for the holidays.

I have baked in my original older pieces over the years with no problems.  Yes, they will chip -- I've had this happen when I've stacked them or hit the counter,etc.  

I seriously thought about purchasing the TSV (floral lace) mainly because I like the size & pieces in the set and price is great!  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mistic wrote:

Hello Ladies ~ Mind if I ask a few questions?  I'm totally new to Temptations.  I love this upcoming TSV.  Love the Lace Pattern.  I also Love the Deep Dish Dinnerware set.  I would like to treat myself, and get two sets of the Bakeware, and also several sets of the Dinnerware.  Mixing colors, of course.

I have a large family to feed when everyone is home, so it would get a work out.  The deep dish factor in the Dinnerware is a plus too, as I've always got some sitting in front of the TV for anything Sports on a regular basis.  Less spills?

Can you tell me if Temptations is durable?  Not them breaking (of course) when dropped, but how about chipping with everyday use?

Thank You ~ Mistic

@Mistic

I have been buying and using Temp-tations since they first came out with their very first set. 

A couple of things I would advise you to consider and things I have experienced I will list for you. 

Why I love it

Several of the patterns and colors are very appealing to me, that was the first attraction. Be sure you like the patterns and won't tire of them.

I can get just about everything under the sun to match my pattern if I choose FL or OW. Not many other lines of dishware have so much selection of bakers, dishes, linens, flatware, serving pieces etc to all match. If you like to have a lot of different things all matching/coordinating, this line gives you that.

Price. It used to be a better value and I think prices have gone up, but you can build a whole kitchen for a pretty reasonable price. 

What I don't like. 

Very inconsistent quality. Some is good some is not, and it isnt' that older is better. It's just totally all over the map. Different sets made at the same time will have completely different quality. Some pieces or sets are very thick and heavy and well done, some are thin and brittle and poorly painted and glazed. You kind of never know what you will get in quality with this line.

These are not heirloom dishes. They will not, with heavy use, last for generations. I've had many many pieces craze especially, and many people have had pieces crack in the oven. 

They have a three year warranty, but it isnt' really worth anything as they charge you $10 to get even a little piece replaced, and they often don't have any replacements for your piece in the pattern or color you have bought, so they send you something that doesn't match. That isn't a very good warranty to me, when this stuff in reality becomes throw away bakeware, and that is what it is to me. 

I buy it, I enjoy it, I use it, but it eventually fails (a lot of it anyway) and I throw it away. 

If you like to redo your dishes/bakeware often, this might be affordable for you to do it. If you are looking to build a lifetime collection that will be a work horse in the kitchen, many of these pieces will fail you over time and leave you with incomplete sets.

Respected Contributor

You know, if you are single and eat alone, and want a deep-dish  plate to use while sitting in front of the teevee to contain run off,  the Lid its would work well as a dinner plate!

After all, they are basically "Deep-dish" plates....and you only need one if you live alone.....

Most people use a tray or a small table for teevee eating, and I think the second largest size lid-it in this set would be great for a dinner plate to use on a tray for instance.

And if one doesn' want to use the Temptations in the oven, you COULD use the small peices for cereal, the small lid-its for odds and ends in your desk for instance, and the bakers for something other than using in the oven.

I use the large pieces for storage, and for plant drainage. They  are prettier than plastic drain plates!

And, if you're going to cook 15 boiling pounds of lasagna or scalloped potatoes, maybe put the baker on an aluminum sheet pan,

EIther that, or be sure you have the number of the burn unit handy!

Regular Contributor

Excuse me, but the first Temptations TSV in 3 years?  I knew time flew but, there was such a TSV in the spring from them...bowls???

Respected Contributor

Hey TomGirl ~

When immediate family gets together, there are 12 of us.  And usually a few extras, who for one reason or another, would rather be here...

Then on Weekends, anything sports brings friends over, and they can get a little rowdy down in the man cave.  

So, when I don't want to haul out the "good stuff" this looks like it will do fine.  Really like the bright colors of the Lace Pattern.  Something different, and festive.  And a lot cheaper that Fiestaware.  

Do I expect it to never break or chip or crack.  No.  But not an arm and a leg to buy more.

Thanks for all of your suggestions for the pieces.

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Honored Contributor

I was watching this morning as I got ready for work, about 6:15 PT. A caller said she ordered FOUR sets of the TSV, in addition to the cookie jars on auto-delivery and a number of other pieces.  Wow!

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@comedy clubber wrote:

Excuse me, but the first Temptations TSV in 3 years?  I knew time flew but, there was such a TSV in the spring from them...bowls???

Nope, it has been that long. 

I think they have had a Big Deal on Q2 once or twice, but no TSV.