Honored Contributor

Re: Temptation pie dish cracked into thirds, caught oven on fire

We have a lot of posts on here about TT breaking. No way would I buy this stuff, and if I had it I wouldn't bake in it. I don't know the OP here, have no thoughts about her, but:

As far as an oven fire, we bought a very slick non-stick roasting pan one year for Thanksgiving. When I was putting a duck back in the oven after basting, the duck slid forward in the pan and the pan tipped, spilling some duck grease out into the oven. Before you knew it, we had a fire going. We had a HARD time getting the duck back out and the grease in the pan was sloshing around--it was awful.

After we got the duck out, we closed the oven door and the fire died out. The year-old oven was ruined and had to be replaced.

My point here is oven fires are no fun, dangerous, scary, and sometimes expensive. Be careful what you cook. You could get really burned too with breaking oven ware. Don't ever treat a hot dish casually. And don't buy oven ware with a bad reputation. You never know when things could happen to you.

Esteemed Contributor

Where are the apologies from two posters for calling so many people liars and saying so many things about other posters that are untrue?? (And I'm not referring to this OP)

It's been going on for years, and it's still happening on this thread. It needs to stop.

Valued Contributor

I just threw away an oval Temptations casserole with a summer pattern. I had used it a few times, but it crazed after the first time using. I continued to use anyway and the other night my husband was hand washing it after having to soak the thing from scalloped potatoes. He mentioned it had two cracks in it. It went into the trash immediately. Thank goodness I did not have the experience you had and luckily got rid of it before it fell apart in the oven. I am pretty much through with being tempted by the Temptation Fad.

Super Contributor

This person needs to call in and tell this story on air right now!

Valued Contributor

On 1/11/2015 AnnaBella said:

Do you honestly think QVC would allow her whole story to be told on air? She'd be cut off so fast it would make your head spin.

I'm still not sure I even believe her story. Why wait so long to come here and tell what happened? Why not call TTs and the CPSC? Fire dept, insurance co., etc., etc.? I just find it all pretty odd.

Honored Contributor

On 1/11/2015 kittymomNC said:

Where are the apologies from two posters for calling so many people liars and saying so many things about other posters that are untrue?? (And I'm not referring to this OP)

It's been going on for years, and it's still happening on this thread. It needs to stop.

Agree and not holding my breath. It's sad that people are still calling others liars for having had bad experience with this poorly made line of products. That doesn't need to be, and shouldn't be, happening.

Valued Contributor

On 1/11/2015 MathisFan said:

Do you honestly think QVC would allow her whole story to be told on air? She'd be cut off so fast it would make your head spin.

I'm still not sure I even believe her story. Why wait so long to come here and tell what happened? Why not call TTs and the CPSC? Fire dept, insurance co., etc., etc.? I just find it all pretty odd.

another reason not to believe this "story"...never called the police, insurance, etc. no pics? yep, this one is pretty odd as is some of the other stories floating around the Q...lol.

Honored Contributor

The fact that the OP posted THIS in 2013 makes her post here less credible.

Perhaps she will return and explain.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Occasional Contributor

On 1/11/2015 gkelly5744 said:
On 1/11/2015 MathisFan said:

another reason not to believe this "story"...never called the police, insurance, etc. no pics? yep, this one is pretty odd as is some of the other stories floating around the Q...lol.

If it happened, too much time has passed.
Honored Contributor

On 1/10/2015 Sunshine Kate said:
On 1/9/2015 jingersnap said:

I'm trying to decide whether to notify anyone at QVC or Temptations about a near disastrous failure of a Temptations pie dish. On the one hand I think it's important to notify them so that PERHAPS they might make their quality assurance standards tougher. On the other hand I'll be shocked if I hear from either QVC or Temptations and not sure it's worth the time to bother.

So has anyone had any serious Temptations ovenware failures? Were they within warranty or not? Did you notify QVC and/or Temptations and, if so, did you receive a response?

On October 29th I preheated our oven to 350 and prepared cinnamon rolls for baking. I put the rolls into the room temp pie dish with space for expansion. It's just hubby & I and I do not bake sweets often. This particular pie dish had been only been used maybe two or three times in the year that I had it. The rest of the time it was on the kitchen shelf as decoration. I put the cinnamon rolls on the center rack in the preheated oven, shut the door, and set the timer. In less than 30 minutes, pie eledish cracked into the thirds dripping melted butter and sugar onto the oven element. The mixture started a fire in my oven which dramatically increased the temperature in the oven. Thick smoke engulfed our home which is a small, old log cabin. Attempts to put out the fire were unsuccessful. Each time we sprayed the fire extinguisher, the fire seemed to almost explode out of the oven door when we opened it. With the extinguisher completed emptied, I was not sure what to do about the raging fire in my oven. The oven had performed it's duty containing the fire to that point but as I watched the flames making their way into the control panel, I knew that if the flames escaped to the wooden floor below the stove or to the logs behind it, we would more than likely loose our home. I finally put the door and dousing tflames out but filling a stove top pot with a few cups of water, opening the oven he flames with water in one quick motion. Each time the flames re-ignited. After about half a dozen times of doing this, the fire was finally out. Both oven windows were shattered. The wiring and insulation surrounding the oven were brown. The wiring was melted. Thankfully, I shut off the breaker to the oven immediately when the fire started.

Since Temptations only warranties their products for a year and this pie dish was three or four months beyond that, neither Temptations or QVC is liable.

All of my Temptations ovenware and tableware has been relegated to cat and dog dish duty. I will never feel safe put a Temptations product in an oven.

The monetary loss of the Temptations products was not significant but the loss of my oven immediately before the one time of year that I actually do any baking was significant. This Temptation product failure could not have come at a worse time, both in emotional and monetary terms.

To add insult to injury, I listened to host after host in the MANY QVC presentations during the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays boast about Temptations capability to withstand a 500 degree oven. I can ONLY image what would have happened if I had placed that pie dish filled with anything other than water in a 500 degree oven. Explosions come to mind!

Please post your Temptations experiences and any thoughts/comments you have.

Just chalk it up to a bad experience and move on or engage Temptations and QVC in serious discussion regarding their claims and warranties?

You're lucky you didn't get electrocuted throwing water in an electric oven. Maybe you turned the power off first?

and water only makes an electrical fire worse! I don't like the Temptations. My DIL received a whole set from me as a gift and the first time she used one, it "burst" in her brand new Wolfe oven. It did not cause quite the scare as this. My son cleaned it up and threw the Temptations in the trash, told me never to buy anything from that company again. I felt bad but thought it was a pretty design in her new kitchen. They are sticking to their blue and white Corningware.