Honored Contributor

Re: Temptation pie dish cracked into thirds, caught oven on fire

I suggested it. That's why I wanted the consumer product safety commission to check both her bakeware and the oven. It is possible the thermostat was not working correctly. I had an oven that was way too cool. I used three hanging thermometers to get correct temperatures. Most ovens are not completely accurate-I read that somewhere, can't remember where. Please make a report. The Commission will examine what happened.

Super Contributor

On 1/10/2015 askdiane70 said:

None of us know what really happened. But interesting that no one has suggested that the oven itself might be the cause of the overheating and fire. I've never had a piece of Temp-tations crack but had it happen once with a piece of Le Creuset stoneware.

Good point - could be the oven itself. As CWS22 said, when things bubble over onto the heating element, usually there's just smoke and burned on residue. Never had that raise the temperature in the oven and have fire and flames. Seems odd. Could have been the oven. Still waiting for more info ......

Trusted Contributor

On 1/10/2015 luvtoshopathome said: Ladies.....click on this OP's name and read her thread on ""WHY CONTINUE TO BUY"" and there are a few other posts by her about Temptations. Then form your own opinion about this Op and her whole story. It's sad.
Please read this post and check the thread I referred to (it wasn't her thread but her response) and you might not be waiting for more info.......
Frequent Contributor

"Thankfully, I shut off the breaker to the oven immediately when the fire started."

....You mean in the electrical panel for your home? Is it right next to the oven or what? I wouldn't think to do that when facing a fire. But if you're going to end up throwing water into an electric oven, (did you suspect your fire extinguisher would fail?) then good you thought about that ahead of time to avoid an unpleasant electrocution.

Any reports to the fire dept? Any attempt to document it? Pictures? Can you post any here? Or did you post the oven pic and broken pie plate anywhere we can see it? Did you contact your insurance company? If so, what did they say? All this information has been left out.

"Just chalk it up to a bad experience and move on or engage Temptations and QVC in serious discussion regarding their claims and warranties?"

You had a "raging" fire that totaled your oven and almost burned down your wooden log home. Maybe it's just me, but I don't imagine my discussion would be focused on "their claims and warranties."

So how does this story end?

Honored Contributor

Since your fire extinguisher didn't put out your fire, look into buying a kitchen extinguisher. It'll stop the oxygen that is fueling the fire.

"Pure Michigan"
Valued Contributor

On 1/11/2015 luvtoshopathome said:
On 1/10/2015 luvtoshopathome said: Ladies.....click on this OP's name and read her thread on "WHY CONTINUE TO BUY" and there are a few other posts by her about Temptations. Then form your own opinion about this Op and her whole story. It's sad.
Please read this post and check the thread I referred to (it wasn't her thread but her response) and you might not be waiting for more info.......

IMO, this tells the whole story of the OP!! It is sad. Just anther reason I have stated why I do not believe some of the posts here on the Q (and have been blasted by saying it)...it's not TT, it's that they are anti China..no matter what the product!

There are a few posters here on the Q that have very vivid imaginations when telling their stories about Temp-tations...not that TT doesn't have problems but these posters have added more & more to their stories as time has went by! and then they keep repeating the same story over & over again!

Just like several posters here have questions....throwing water on an open fire?? using up a fire extinguisher to try to put the fire out?? just happens to live in a small log cabin" ?? NEVER called the fire dept. or police??? and now 2 months later comes the the Q boards and asks if she should call OVC or TT CS??? and then never comes back to answer questions....doesn't add up or I guess anyone with common sense....it does!!!

I am sure once again I will get some heat from my post but just stating my opinion.

Honored Contributor

I had a whole pan of lasagna crack and splatter over my oven door as I was removing it. It was a fairly new pan (used about 2 times before). The lasagna ingredients were warm when I placed the pan in the oven. I had just boiled the noodles and made the sauce - nothing was frozen (or even cold).

I have heard Tara say (quietly) that TT should be placed in a COLD oven and brought up to temperature slowly.

I never had listened to her that closely, but after my experience I noticed everything she said about her product.

Needless to say, most baking recipes call to place your recipe in a pre-heated oven - so not only are her products shoddy, they also aren't very practical either!

Valued Contributor

On 1/11/2015 terrier3 said:

I had a whole pan of lasagna crack and splatter over my oven door as I was removing it. It was a fairly new pan (used about 2 times before). The lasagna ingredients were warm when I placed the pan in the oven. I had just boiled the noodles and made the sauce - nothing was frozen (or even cold).

I have heard Tara say (quietly) that TT should be placed in a COLD oven and brought up to temperature slowly.

I never had listened to her that closely, but after my experience I noticed everything she said about her product.

Needless to say, most baking recipes call to place your recipe in a pre-heated oven - so not only are her products shoddy, they also aren't very practical either!

this is how rumors start & misinformation! If anyone has seen Tara's on air presentations, she doesn't say anything "quietly"...lol. She is very proud of her product (as she should be!). When Tara's speaks about a "COLD oven", below is what she has to say about that . It is from her website in "black & white" for everyone to read so no need for her to "quietly" say it on air...lol. Hope this helps to clear up any misunderstanding that you have.

"Yes, all temp-tations® bakers can go from the freezer directly to the oven. However, when doing so, allow your temp-tations® baker and your oven to heat up together. (Put the stoneware in an unheated oven, turn on the oven, and allow both to come to desired cooking temperature simultaneously.)"

And I have never had to use "special"treatment with my Temp-tations..I use it like any other bake ware..always preheat my oven before putting any dish in the oven.

Valued Contributor

On 1/10/2015 CWS22 said:

I didn't know/think that dripping sugar or butter could cause an oven fire? When I think of all the pies I've baked over the years where (unfortunately) some of the filling bubbled over and onto the heating element - all I got was smoke and some burned-on residue to clean off the bottom of the oven once cooled. But I never feared a fire would break out. Is that common?

This was cinnamon rolls..just how much sugar/butter could have been on those rolls to start a fire?? that could not be put out with a fire extinguisher?? This is NOT common at all, IMO.

Honored Contributor

On 1/11/2015 gkelly5744 said:

"Yes, all temp-tations® bakers can go from the freezer directly to the oven. However, when doing so, allow your temp-tations® baker and your oven to heat up together. (Put the stoneware in an unheated oven, turn on the oven, and allow both to come to desired cooking temperature simultaneously.)"

And I have never had to use "special"treatment with my Temp-tations..I use it like any other bake ware..always preheat my oven before putting any dish in the oven.

It sounds to me like Tara is too precious with her wording: the bakeware can go directly from freezer to oven - if the oven is unheated! But you ignore her advice and heat the oven first, correct?