Honored Contributor

Re: Temptation pie dish cracked into thirds, caught oven on fire

OMG! I would definitely report it to QVC and Temp-tations, and if you are on facebook, tell the story there, and/or go to yelp and post the story there. I have only used the baking dish a few times, bought years ago before all of these horrible reviews came to light, and because of the reviews, I have been putting the dish in a cold oven, not preheating it, so far so good, but every time I use it, I think of the possibility that something may happen, and then ask myself why I am risking that.

Super Contributor

I will not judge whether the OP story is true. I can state that my lasagna pan cracked right down the middle and several of my baking pans (square ones) crazed. Hence, my purchasing of Fiesta ware. It made me decide to buy American made products whenever I can. I also returned to using my cornflower pattern Corning Ware (circa 1972) and my Revere Ware copper bottom pots and pans (from 1975).

I know there are many happy Temp-Tations users and some have called me (and others) a liar, I am not. Temp-tations may work for some, just didn't work for me.

Esteemed Contributor

This has been really interesting to read. It's kind of like the Linea lovers against those who care less, in a way.

Bottom line is there seems to be an issue in the manufacturing of this product, so I spoke with my husband who was an engineer and manufacturing engineer in Silicon Valley. Here's his 2 cents worth:

If this line was manufactured in the U.S., it's likely the quality assurance (after manufacture) would include either ultrasound or x-ray of each unit to look for bubbles or other imperfections in the product. However, our guess is that because this costs $$, it's not going to happen at an off-shore manufacturing facility where standards are in keeping with the desired profit margin. Of course, this could occur even if manufactured in the U.S., again, if standards were on the lower end of the QA ruler.

Just our take.

Frequent Contributor

The only oven fire I've ever experienced was when my husband's grandmother came for a visit and baked a rhubarb pie in my oven. To this day, I'm not sure how that pie caused a fire in the oven, but it did happen. Not just smoke, but there were flames in the bottom of the oven. We quickly and easily put out the fire, but it was scary. I don't understand people questioning this lady because she didn't call the fire department or even the police after she put out the fire. When we had the oven fire, none of us thought of calling the fire department or police after it was over. Why would anyone call the police for a small oven fire that was extinguished? I doubt the police would want to investigate such a thing.

Respected Contributor

If sugary syrup or juice dripped into your oven bottom--it can catch fire (carbon plus heat plus oxygen in sufficient quantities equals fire.) So rhubarb pie can make a fire.

As to the OP's oven fire, the questions are whether she's ginning up trouble but I don't think so because liars are usually not so detailed.

The issue around here however is that there are detractors who've had issues with Temp-tations, supporters who love it and people who read the forum.

I will tell you my favorite piece had a hidden crack that was painted under a vine--the crack followed the vine, so my estimation is that the worker didn't want a piece in the throwaway bin or didn't want to make up a piece after working on it and finding a crack. I didn't notice this until I'd used it after the warranty and yes, it did finally crack (I wasn't sure at first if I was seeing a crack due to the painting.) So I feel they have a certain amount of defective units going out and I won't be buying any more, even though I liked the pack n go. And I'm seriously considering putting all of them in the bin as I won't risk an accident.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't understand why so many people automatically think a new or fairly new poster who makes a negative comment just comes on here to lie or to stir up trouble. The new ones who post to compliment this line never have a problem. This poster may have been busy yesterday and not able to get back to this thread... I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. But I don't blame her for not coming back today after some of the comments made here.

I had read on the forums for a good while before I got up the nerve to post something, and dummy me, I think I remember doing my first post by starting a thread about Susan Graver. It was when she had first started getting so hyper during her shows -- I didn't get piled on then as much as I probably would today, because apparently few people trust a "newbie" now from what I can see.

And I've had my own problems with Temp-tations, but so many posts about other people's issues have made me even more careful with my Pyrex, etc. I think I'm getting paranoid about putting anything in the oven other than metal! {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/11/2015 suzyQ3 said:

The fact that the OP posted THIS in 2013 makes her post here less credible.

Perhaps she will return and explain.

I'm curious as to why her early October, 2013, post makes this story less credible. Part of what she posted:

"The new dinnerware set she introduced last summer was the worst of all of the Temptations products I've purchased. Besides chipped, bubbled, and uneven or missing glaze, most of the pieces had finger prints, paint blotches, etc. I called QVC CS about obtaining replacement pieces and the blunt response was that I had to call Temptations. Additionally pieces seem to be crazing at a high rate with use even though they received minimal use. So I won't be buying more pieces any time soon."

This seems to me to indicate that she was already having problems with crazing, but it wouldn't make it abnormal for her to use a piece in late October to make a pie. She didn't say she wasn't going to use what she had any more, she simply said she wouldn't buy any new pieces.

Respected Contributor

On 1/11/2015 luvtoshopathome said:
On 1/10/2015 luvtoshopathome said: Ladies.....click on this OP's name and read her thread on ""WHY CONTINUE TO BUY"" and there are a few other posts by her about Temptations. Then form your own opinion about this Op and her whole story. It's sad.
Please read this post and check the thread I referred to (it wasn't her thread but her response) and you might not be waiting for more info.......

I saw that.

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/11/2015 sparklestar said:
On 1/11/2015 luvtoshopathome said:
On 1/10/2015 luvtoshopathome said: Ladies.....click on this OP's name and read her thread on "WHY CONTINUE TO BUY" and there are a few other posts by her about Temptations. Then form your own opinion about this Op and her whole story. It's sad.
Please read this post and check the thread I referred to (it wasn't her thread but her response) and you might not be waiting for more info.......

I saw that.

I posted about her statement there in post #96 - she didn't say she wouldn't use what she had any more, she said she wouldn't buy any more.

ETA: I went all the way back to Feb. 2013 and the only other reference to TT I found was about retiring patterns.

Honored Contributor

Maybe we got the Readers Digest Condensed Version of this story. I could see using a pan I had spent money on for a simple task like this, especially if the mfgr and retailer had not given me my money back. She didn't say she DIDN'T call the insurance company or the fire department, did she? Maybe I read it too fast. I believe her. My fire dept is 45 minutes away, yes I'd call them, but I know the house would be lost if I don't get a fire out myself. And another thing, starting from a cold oven is not standard in recipes, try it yourself and your timing will be totally messed up.