Highlighted
Contributor

Tax on Corazonas? Mods please help

I purchased Corazonas and was charged sales tax. I called customer service and was told this fell under the category of candy. I was also going to purchase My Grandmas cake and Zee Zees, no sales tax. Mods please help this doesn’t seem right.
Honored Contributor

Re: Tax on Corazonas? Mods please help

Hopefully, you know what the sales tax laws are for YOUR state, because that is what makes it go one way or another.

I don't even get the 'candy' thing they told you.  Are taxable/nontaxable foods split like that in your state?

In my state it's pretty simple - Food items are not taxable unless they are 'prepared and served', which includes fast food as well as regular restaurant food.   Anything short of that, in terms of food items, is not taxable.   Even if I buy a cake or other food items that, for example, QVC sells, they are nontaxable in my state.  The different is not just prepared, but prepared AND served.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cat lover 1731 -(from Google) I know that in many states candy is taxed along with liquor, etc. things that are not exactly considered food.

There are only about 17 states (the ones in brown) that do NOT tax candy.

Candy is one of those products that can be taxeddifferently in different U.S. states. Some states lumpcandy in with groceries and require the same salestax rate. ... Other states tax candy at the combined full state sales tax rate, even if other groceries are taxexempt or taxed at a lesser rate.Feb 13, 2017

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the information. Corazonas is not a candy. If I were to purchase Zee Zee’s Which is very similar to Corazonas there is no sales tax. This is confusing.

Honored Contributor

@Cat lover 1731 -

Oh I see. I misunderstood and thought you were saying they were but I see they really are not! I would question this too!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I live in Pennsylvania where QVC's headquarters are.  I was charged sales tax on shoes.  PA has no sales tax on shoes.

I contacted CS and was told I was incorrect because the shoes had faux on them.  I contacted the PA Attorney General's office and made a complaint.  They contacted QVC and they still would not refund my sales tax.  They told the AG office and me that QVC does not keep the tax, so I should not be upset.  Huh????  Because it was such a small amount no one would help me.

i got a letter from QVC, but no refund. 

I had to contact the PA Department of Revenue to get a refund.

I am ticked off about the whole issue. I will NEVER buy another thing from QVC if tax is charged incorrectly, because I know they will not budge or admit their error.  They do not refund sales tax taken in error, nor will they research it for you or change things in their system.  

Good luck.