Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Maybe because my mother resisted the trend toward processed foods, I had never tasted a tater tot until I was an adult. I did not like them at all. They were salty and had a weird texture. Every once in a while I see casserole recipes that include them, usually along with one or two cans of cream soup,  mostly in books geared toward they type of cooking so popular a few decades ago. They just don't appeal to me in any way.

Blech

That looks revolting.

That was the idea. Smiley Wink

When you post a pic here, you have to give it a title. If you put your cursor on this pic, you'll see my title.

Haha! Blech! I didn't know you could do that. I figured you thought it wasn't appealing looking either.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

@HonnyBrown wrote:

MMA, is that a Minnesota Hot Dish?

When I first got married, I would get cookbooks from the library to get some different ideas.  One cookbook was "Cook Until Bubbly" or something like that and it focused on casseroles.

One casserole was a modified Minnesota Hot Dish, which I modified to use simmer sauces instead of soups.

The outcome was great; I still use it now.

HonnyBrown,

I don't know if it is or not.  I've lived in KS all my life.  I really don't know where I got the recipe as I've made it for years.  It is not the original recipe though.  I've changed it to suit my allergy to dairy.

Esteemed Contributor

Here's a better pic of the same dish:

Tater Tots!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Esteemed Contributor

MMA, I modified it also, to the point where I call it a Maryland Hot Dish: no soup, no Tater Tots, no ground beef.  The only way that it is the same is the fact that it's in an 8x8 Pyrex!

Respected Contributor

OR, you could do a Pizza Tot Casserole

Ingredients

• 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 medium green pepper, chopped
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
  • 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
  • 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
  • 1 package (32 ounces) frozen Tater Tots

Directions

1. In a large skillet, cook the beef, pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the soup, mushrooms and Italian seasoning. 
  2. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with cheese and potatoes. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 6-8 servings. 
Originally published as Pizza Tot Casserole in Quick Cooking March/April 1999, p31
Respected Contributor

OR Chili Tot CAsserole

Ingredients

•  1 pound ground beef
  •  2 cans (15 ounces each) chili without beans
  •  1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
  •  1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
  •  1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
  •  2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
  •  1 package (32 ounces) frozen Tater Tots

Nutritional Facts

1 serving (1 each) equals 297 calories, 18 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 761 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 15 g protein. 

Directions

1. In a large skillet, cook the beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the chili, tomato sauce, olives and green chilies. Transfer to two greased 8-in. square baking dishes. Sprinkle with cheese; top with Tater Tots. Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months. 
  2. Cover and bake the remaining casserole at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until heated through. 
  3. To use frozen casserole: Remove from the freezer 30 minutes before baking (do not thaw). Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until heated through.Yield: 2 casseroles (6 servings each). 

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the recipes!! 

Honored Contributor

I am happy to report that my Aldi's not only has the coins but also the full blown tater tots . . . it's a potato extravaganza!

Esteemed Contributor

mtc, that is good to know about Aldi's!

I woke up early this morning and thought about making a breakfast Tater Tot dish with salsa and eggs.  By the time I finished the recipe in my head, I fell asleep again.

When I did get out of bed at normal time, hubby asked if I wanted breakfast.  I had a banana.

Honored Contributor

When I started work at my current company, I was so excited to see Tater Tots in the cafeteria. I hadn't had a Tater Tot in decades. I got some as a side and remembered why I hadn't had them in decades.

I think they're probably better when you bake them at home, but the Tots in the cafeteria were fried and way too greasy for me. I haven't had them since.