Respected Contributor

The taste of everything changed when they started replacing the oils and lard with non-transfat replacements. Transfat might be unhealthy but it sure made things taste good!

But I still love all those cakes and cookies!

Esteemed Contributor

I grew up eating Tastykakes but rarely eat them now.  Every once in a while I pick up the three pack of chocolate cupcakes.  While not as good as I remember, nothing tastes the same as we get older.  I still like the chocolate cupcakes, but only on a limited basis.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

You're right @shaggygirl, they're not.  And they're not as big as they used to be (specifically the cupcakes).  And the pies are not filled as much as they used to be.  And they have the nerve to charge $1.79 per pie.  I remember when they were 35 cents a piece.  And the top of the tastyklair used to be fully covered in chocolate; now it's just a strip down the middle.  

Honored Contributor

This is interesting because growing up Tastykakes "Krimpettes" were always my fav or the "junior cakes".

Moving to FL I hadn't had Tastykake in ages -- spouse loves TandyKakes.  I happen to see them in store so I bought him a box.

He said the same thing:  tasted like cardboard (stale) and smaller.

He hardly eats sweets -- he said "thanks but don't buy them again".

Guess it's like everything else nothing tastes the same!  Well, I love Good & Plenty and they still do! 

Honored Contributor

boy, i wish i still did not like them! unfortunately my son is addicted. LOL

we always have at least one box of something tastykakes.....usually butterscotch krimpets or kandykakes or snack kakes.

we also buy entenmanns bakery products. the snack pies, the mini crumb cakes, raspberry danish, chocolate frosted donuts.

our stores often have them half price or buy one get one free.

they have been staples in our house ever since i was a tiny tot.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

@shaggygirl wrote:

Are not as good as they used to be. Just sayin.

Absolutely true across the board.  I used to love their lemon Tastypies....now they taste of a lard-like substance.

Their peanut butter Tandy takes are blah.  

The chocolate covered juniors aren’t too bad as is also the coffee cake.

Yep it's the peanut butter ones I picked up and blah is the word. Might try the butterscotch krimpets and see if they're anything like they used to be, if not, no more Tastykakes for me.

Honored Contributor

Yeah, me, too.  I feel that way about most stuff.  But then, again, I think it's probably me. I know when I was younger, all this stuff tasted so good and now when i try at lot of it, I think --- really?  Did I really go crazy over this??  Yeck..... 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Sorry to hear that.  My father was a TastyKake route man, so I grew up on Tasty Kakes!!!  Always loved them.  

Honored Contributor

Nothing is as good as it used to be.

Respected Contributor

@panda1234

Not into baking any more....but thanks for the info on the recipe.

Found a short-lived small bakery that had a large tray of “PB tandykake-like” goodies.  They had an extra thick coating of chocolate and PB.....you couldn’t eat the whole individual square:  they were so dense and scrumptious !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill