Honored Contributor

I bought a non-slip mesh - the ones made for keeping rugs from slipping, and put it on my wood table before the tablecloth.

Voila!  

Like magic!

No more tablecloth slipping!

If you have a table setting tip to share, I'd love to hear about it.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

I have an octagonal table and use round tablecloths. I have found that a round felt elasticized cover (the kind you might use for card playing) works great to both protect the table and keep the tablecloth from slipping. When we play cards or a game with dice the cover is perfect for that.

Respected Contributor

@house_cat

I would be concerned with the non-slip fabric leaving marks ( permanent ? ) on the table’s wood surface.

It sometimes leaves marks on vinyl flooring.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

@house_cat

I would be concerned with the non-slip fabric leaving marks ( permanent ? ) on the table’s wood surface.

Yes. That's a valid concern.  I have a huge, rustic wood table that is virtually indestructible.  If, in the worst case scenario, the finish was damaged, it could easily be sanded and restored.  However, you are right and I should have cautioned that in my OP.

~ house cat ~
Valued Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

@house_cat

Yes, I had that happen to the finish on top of my cherrywood dresser ... I had a small fan sitting on a small piece of shelf liner... cannot get the "grid" marks off ... so just to be aware that could happen..

Valued Contributor

My tip is to have no table cloth. I can easily wipe it down after the cat has jumped on it over night. I also don't have to wash another linen.

Regular Contributor

I also have an octagon table. Mine is from Eathan Allen about 30 years ago. And I also use a table pad to stop slipping and to protect the wood tabletop.