Honored Contributor

Re: TSV for 6/8 ice cream maker cooks essentials

I broke down & bought one.  It will be the perfect size for just me & DH!I agree that it's not so great for families.  I plan on making a lot of both dairy & dairy free fresh fruit ice cream. I also plan on experimenting with various sugar substitutes.

I found one that is similar on Amazon called "Mr. freeze" ice cream maker.  It's $107.00 and makes the same amount.  the design looks almost identical...it probably is the same manufacturer.  It got good reviews.

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

I broke down & bought one.  It will be the perfect size for just me & DH!I agree that it's not so great for families.  I plan on making a lot of both dairy & dairy free fresh fruit ice cream. I also plan on experimenting with various sugar substitutes.

I found one that is similar on Amazon called "Mr. freeze" ice cream maker.  It's $107.00 and makes the same amount.  the design looks almost identical...it probably is the same manufacturer.  It got good reviews.

@haddon9 - I got one too. although DS can probably eat the whole pint by himself! LOL! He'll be heading back to college to work there the second half of summer, so I'll make two batches until then.

I got it because I can make healthy sorbets in it. If we DO have ice cream, it will allow us portion control. Also, last night Meredith made a peach bellini sorbet. Who could turn that down? Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

Re: TSV for 6/7 ice cream maker cooks essentials

I didn't read the posts, but a few years back, DH bought me a "self-contained" Cuisinart that is huge-and cost almost $500 dollars!!!! It's a great machine, but you can't store it easily....

This ice cream machine is such a bargain....I bought one for our weekend place because my Donvier works very well, but it takes up a lot of real estate in the freezer. This is an amazing TSV....especially if you have dietary restrictions...there are some great inexpensive frozen dessert cookbooks on Amazon that you can peruse. If you are on the fence about buying this, I am here to encourage you to buy it...I never in a million years thought that I would see a self-contained (meaning compressor freezing) for under $300 let alone under $100...Wow!

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

Oh, for those who have dreams of making dairy free ice cream, I suggest you purchase the following so you will be ready from the beginning:

Gelatin-instant- : many different kinds available and adds no flavor-be it animal derived or vegan

Xanthum Gum or Guar Gum-most non-dairy recipes require one or the other. It's mandatory for smooth, creamy texture.

For those who must limit sugar: I can't recall the brand offhand, but Amazon offers liquid Stevia in several varieties...It's my taste of course, but it seems many of us agree that liquid Stevia blends more easily and has a better flavor than powdered.

Many recipes do call for a certain quantity of Medjool dates-available in your grocery. Everybody has to test-if you have diabetes-and they do have fiber and minerals. In reading recipes, it seems to average about 2 dates per serving.

Bon appetit,

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2, just so you know, this is not a compressor machine.  But, you also don't have to put a canister in the freezer before using.  It works by removing the warm air from the canister if that makes sense.  

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

@haddon9 - I got one too. although DS can probably eat the whole pint by himself! LOL! He'll be heading back to college to work there the second half of summer, so I'll make two batches until then.

I got it because I can make healthy sorbets in it. If we DO have ice cream, it will allow us portion control. Also, last night Meredith made a peach bellini sorbet. Who could turn that down? Smiley Wink

@beach-mom I know it looks great!  Some can take or leave ice cream & frozen desserts.  I for one LOVE it but it's nice to control the ingredients.  I plan in making it while we eat dinner then after we often will watch a movie and  it will be nice to have the treat.

Plus you can use it over & over again unlike other ice cream makers that require you to freeze the tub first.  So though it makes only a small amount you can stock up.

I'm looking forward to mine!  Enjoy yours! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I think as a TSV this ice cream maker is a bust.  Last night they said the sherbet color was almost sold out so hurry if you want it; I just checked and over 12 hours later it's still available, as are all the rest of the colors.   I think the small capacity deters many people. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

If I ate more ice cream, I would get it.  Mostly because I find store bought ice cream (no matter what brand) just way too sweet.

Honored Contributor

sherbert just sold out.

I don't like it that you can't clean it. To awkward. I had a little cheap deep fryer that the base didn't lift out to clean and gave to Goodwill. 

I'm keeping my 2 Cuisinart ice cream makers don't bother me they sit in freezer. Makes a qt.  That little amount hubbo would stand over the machine and eat it all out of the bowl. LOL

It's electric so how in the world do you get it in the sink to wash it ?

Good for 1 person I guess, but, to pricey for not being able to wash it and small servings.

Honored Contributor

I watched a couple of partial presentations of this item.   I just didn't feel good about it at all, so I really do hope I'm wrong for the sake of those who purchased it.

I will continue with the Cuisinart one I've had for near 20 years.    It's not at all inconvenient to freeze the container.  Then it only takes 20 minutes or so for the appliance part.   Before that I make up a mixture and refrigerate for an hour or so.  Everything is easy to use and easy to keep clean.  It makes 1.5 QUARTS, which is a reasonable amount.  I have a L&L bowl that is the exact size for the finished product, to store in the freezer.  Plus it's a proven brand for electronics.