Frequent Contributor

TRAVELING WITH FOOD (leg of lamb) FOR EASTER?

We're going to visit our daughter and family for Easter and I'd like to make a roast leg of lamb. We have a huge family event for all holidays, for Thanksgiving there were 45 family members and more at Christmas! I know not everyone likes lamb but those that do will appreciate it. Everyone brings something so we have lots of food, most is all prepared beforehand because they live nearby. We live the furthest, road trip takes about 2 hours from our house to hers..... I can't cook the whole thing there because she will be using the ovens (she has 2) I have to cook it at home.

So my questions is WHAT DO I DO? possibly cook it the day before and re-heat at her house (sometimes we use the outside BBQ)...... Please, any advice is appreciated. Thank you Happy Easter to all.

Contributor

Re: TRAVELING WITH FOOD (leg of lamb) FOR EASTER?

I don't really understand the premise of your question. Apparently, your family have holiday dinners for 45 or more folks. Your leg of lamb will not serve 45. How does everyone else reheat their entres?

If your family does this all the time, there must be a structured process for doing these meals.

If this is the first time for you attending a holiday dinner, ask your host how to fit in with the other 45+ guests.

Honored Contributor

Gerri - I would not transport a cooked leg of lamb unless you have a really good thermal bag. How about your daughter cooking the lamb and you do something more transportable? Or how about getting to her house early and grilling the lamb?
Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

In our family the meat is always cooked by the person hosting, and the others carry in all the side dishes. In this case, I would either cook the meat the day before, slice and package for transport, or roast the lamb early that morning, transport the roast whole, then slice and reheat prior to dinner.
Super Contributor

Oh my. I would never travel with a leg of lamb, that would be such a hassle and stress me out! Save the leg of lamb idea for another dinner or family event at your home, where you can prepare it appropriately, keep it at the right temperature and not have to drag it two hours from your home.

I would stop and get a Honeybaked ham, can you do that? Put it in a cooler packed with ice from home and when you get there you can either serve it cold or heat it up. Easy peasy. Pre-sliced and you don't have to cook anything, they are precooked.

You are just asking for a lot of work and aggravation, transporting a cooked leg of lamb (or uncooked and trying to cook it once you get there). If it's cooked or uncooked, trying to keep it at the right temperature to prevent food poisoning, stressing out over getting it there and having it hot enough to eat, fighting with others over the two ovens, trying to do it on the grill, etc. Sheesh. Too much stress and trouble.

Honored Contributor

How nice that your DD has two ovens!

Honored Contributor

I would take something else. Take something easy and enjoy the day. I don't think it would be worth the fuss it would entail.

One time someone asked it they could "bring a pie" to a family dinner. Well, the person proceeded to bring the ingredients and MAKE A PIE crust in MY kitchen while I was trying to get this meal finished and ready. I was ready to kill her. I had no where to put anything and an oven that was not available to me thereafter. Hubby let her get started with it. NEEDLESS to say, I would have said NO. {#emotions_dlg.mad}

Thought some of you might get a laugh out of this. I hadn't thought about that in YEARS!

Honored Contributor

I love lamb but would not risk traveling with it. I would take something else or take a Honeybaked Ham that was suggested....always good and easier to transport.
Respected Contributor

I wouldn't take a leg of lamb. I would wait until the event was held at my own home and bake it there.

I would take something easy to transport.

Trusted Contributor

I LOVE lamb for Easter, but I wouldn't want to try to transport a cooked leg of lamb for a two-hour trip and then try to get it re-heated for the meal. I doubt the lamb would be as good as fresh-cooked lamb, and I'd be worried about food contamination during the long trip. If you do take the lamb, I'd cook and slice it at home, carry the slices in a cooler, and then reheat the slices in the oven at your daughter's house. I'd rather take something else that doesn't have to be cooked in advance or perhaps arrange to pick up a ready-to-serve ham or fried chicken, etc. in your daughter's town when you get there.

I have a large family too, with gatherings about the size of yours, and we usually have the meat(s) prepared or catered at the host's home (everyone can contribute to the cost), and everyone else brings side items. If you're determined to take lamb, there are some great marinated, grilled lamb recipes. You could take portion-size pieces of your lamb in the marinade in a cooler and then grill them at your daughter's home, if that could be managed. This is how I usually fix lamb, and it is the best lamb ever and takes just a few minutes on the grill! I never roast lamb in the oven any more; it's always marinated and grilled outdoors. One of our favorite dishes.