Honored Contributor

TONIGHT'S COOKING DOOZIE!!! (HUMOR)

Well for sure now I know I need a "break" from my favorite friend the "stove"!

I always try to plan what we are eating either the night before or that morning.

He was having leftover Pork Chow Mein and chicken wings I made yesterday & I was going to have my favorite, ravioli with garlic & butter sauce.

I boil the ravioli and then saute them.  We sit down to dinner and YUCK...I said "these ravioli's taste wierd" and "I've never seen filling like this"!!!!  Then I continue to try to eat them and figure out what the taste is.  He tries some.  

Then he said "they do taste wierd and I don't eat ravioli".  Then adds, "they taste like onions and mashed potatoes".

After being perplexed I go look at the bag -- OMG my gf last month went to the Polish deli and gave me a bag of perogies!!! I accidentally thought they were ravioli's & perogies aren't my favorite ...

So much for another dinner sr moment .. I ended up making a pb & j sandwich which was perfect!!!

Oh it's one of those days!! Smiley Surprised

Frequent Contributor

Re: TONIGHT'S COOKING DOOZIE!!! (HUMOR)

I can totally understand thinking you are going to eat one thing and ending up with something you didn't expect as I've done that with my own "mystery freezer bags" that I forgot to mark (ex. I think it's cooked pork and it's cooked chicken)!

Respected Contributor

I was making mini meatballs on the stove top one day.  Decided to use the olive oil our friends gave us.  They got it from a shop in Carmel Valley that made their own olive oil.  When it came time to eat, we all noticed that our mouths were on fire.  It was an olive oil with a lot of hot spices in it.  I didn't read the label, I thought it was just plain olive oil.  

Respected Contributor

Reminds me of the time I made tuna casserole and forgot to put the tuna in.

Honored Contributor

Once I made five pounds of scallops in the oven and garnished them with cinnamon  instead of paprika.

I panicked because I made them for my brother who was having a party. I am sure he spent a lot of money for them.  They were a hit...everyone loved them.  Sounds gross to me. I didn't try them.

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1    You could have put a dollop of sour cream on the pierogies. Right on top of the garlic and butter sauce.  My DH eats them like that often.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie 

I thought of this but they are not one of my favorites! I'd never buy these.

All was not lost -- I'm taking my friend to sr shopping tomorrow.  I will fry some onions and add the perogies.  I'll give her some sour cream.  She'll enjoy them!

I'm not wasting any food these days!  Spouse is even eating leftovers which he never would before...

🙂

Honored Contributor

@OutofMadison 

haha I have lots of those "mystery bags" in my freezer!  

Then I try to guess! a couple weeks ago I thought I took out plain sauce but it was extra sauce w/sauerkraut from stuffed cabbages I made.

🤷‍♀️

Trusted Contributor

My husband's aunt one time took out a bag of what she thought was stew meat...put it in a pot and added all the necessary ingredients to make beef stew.  Cooked it and then realized they were frozen strawberries!  Apparently, everyone noticed how sweet the stew tasted!!!    I think she had forgotten to wear her glasses that day!

Honored Contributor

@Leggett28 LOL!!