Valued Contributor

Re: THANKSGIVING MEAL IN June ?

If you're calling turkey as a Thanksgiving meal, I love turkey any time of the year. A local "down home" kind of restaurant serves roasted turkey (no turkey loaf or anything like that), every Thursday. You get a generous serving of turkey (white or dark meat) and dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy, a veggie (corn, green beans or fried okra), a salad or soup and a roll for $9.99 which I think is a very good bargain. I don't know of any other place locally that serves actual roasted turkey except at Thanksgiving and Christmas. In Indiana, where I grew up, there used to be a restaurant in Valparaiso Indiana called Strongbow's Turkey Inn that served all kinds of turkey dishes. I think it's long gone but it was wonderful. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I now could go for some turkey and mashed potatoes.  I did make turkey tetrazzini a few weeks ago.  It was soooo good.  With heat in the mid-migh 90's, I doubt the oven will be on much this week.  

No turkey left in the freezer, but I'm definitely getting two at Thanksgiving this year.  

@RedTop   I've never had the Hormel refrigerated meals, might have to try the turkey.  

Respected Contributor

@Razzy 7 

Now that would be a  meal I would like to have. Never heard of a restaurant serving turkey off season. Yes it's reasonable.

Respected Contributor

I had a few pieces of the turkey legs neat left over, so I made soup with them. Used a container of vegetable broth, left over gravy and added sage seasoning plus some left over cooked rice. Boiled it for 1/2 hour or so.

Very tasty, no waste at all.

Honored Contributor

DH smoked a turkey breast over the weekend. We ate turkey sandwiches on homemade bread. Yum. 

We eat turkey several times per year. It doesn't need to be a Holiday.

Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz 

Smoked turkey, now that would be a treat any time of year. Lucky you.

Honored Contributor

We grill out all year, but I don't make special dishes through the year, some are too expensive.

Valued Contributor

Exactly. Turkey doesn't have to be limited to holidays. The special every Thursday at a  local mom and pop kind of restaurant in my city is roast turkey. None of those awful turkey rolls, actual roasted turkey with the usual accompaniements. I eat lunch there on Thursday frequently.