Trusted Contributor

I favor Earl Grey, either the Twinings or Bigelow brand. I let it really steep until it’s dark, add 1 sugar and a good spot of half & half to lighten it. Taste is very pleasing and I find it relaxing.

I have not found the caffeine-free version of either brand to taste any different, so if I want a cuppa in the evening, I’ll use Earl Grey decaf.  

I have nothing against a strong cup of Lipton’s black tea.  But if I can choose Earl Grey, I’ll always go for that first. I don’t drink coffee. 

For me, the path to  well-brewed tea is really hot water. What comes out of a Keurig is not hot enough for a good steep. I will bring a cup of water to boil in a microwave or put up a kettle and pour a truly boiling cupful to start steeping the teabag.  I will use honey and lemon if I’m sick with a cold. Otherwise, it’s always rich half & half and a bit of sugar. 

Honored Contributor

There is a wonderful tea seller/shop in Dallas called The Cultured Cup.  They carry Mariage Freres teas from France (to me THE best teas in the world!) and a lot of their own teas and blends.  The owners are very knowledgeable about teas and happy to share their information! 

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge, I've tried this now, and it is nice!!

Super Contributor

I make a pot of Lipton's loose leaf black tea every morning.  The first cup or two I drink are HOT.  Then I add ice and drink iced tea the rest of the day.  Sometimes I share, sometimes I make a second pot.  Once in a while I like a cup of Constant Comet, with sugar.  If I've got a sore throat or am chilling, i like a cup of really HOT (homemade) Friendship Tea (the stuff made with lots of sugar, Tang, instant lemonaid and spices).  I drink tea year around.

Respected Contributor

Does anyone own the Breville One-Touch Tea Maker  (K297730)?  The ratings are very high, as everyone seems to love it.  I have it in my Wish List and am waiting for at least 6 easy pays, as it is pricey at $249.99.  I've never seen it presented on air, though, but it's been in QVC's inventory for awhile.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Respected Contributor

I also like Harney Tea and Upton Tea. I prefer loose teas. Assam and Yunnan are my favorite black teas. I don’t like any fruit flavored tea.

Trusted Contributor

@qualitygal

You might try a first flush Darjeeling.  Also white teas are very mild.  Never with milk. No sugar or very, very little.

Jasmine tea is also nice.  

Remember do not pour boiling water over green teas, white teas and lighter teas.

You will want to check on this - some sources say bring to a boil, then let it drop to desired temp before pouring over the leaves, others say heat to the desired temp.  

(I don’t make a lot of green or white teas as  I don’t think

they go as well with a tea biscuit or other sweet goody!) 

In the morning, I usually drink a tea that can take milk and a little sugar or honey.  Usually Ceylon from the Kenilworth Estate - I find this a very soothing way to start the day and is nice with my toast. 

If I am having a hearty breakfast (with bacon or sausage) it’s usually an Assam or Assam blend like Irish Breakfast.  

In the afternoon, it’s time for a 2nd flush Darjeeling (Castleton or Margaret’s Hope are two of my favourite estates)  or, sometimes an Earl Grey  (Mariages Freres French Bleu is wonderful and uses a Ceylon tea as the base instead of the more usual China black tea) 

Loose leaf always best.  Better quality.  (Various grades in abbreviations like SFTGFOP1 - even after decades, I still have to look them up!)  

Larger leaves steep more slowly so, it is easier to control strength.  

You might find you like a black tea if not steeped a long time.   And, be sure to strain well so, the tannins don’t turn the tea bitter.

Usually for my black teas, I use 2 grams tea to 6oz of water.  Because I brew different types, I usually weigh the tea (different teas weigh differently for the same spoon measurement and I rarely remember the various measurements for the gram weights!) 

Most good tea sources put their recommendations on the tea packet, tin or website as to amounts and water temp.)

I like brewing in a pot, even when just having a single cup.  (I prefer not putting the boiling water directly in my cup, it’s just too hot for me to drink for too long!)  

Though I don’t always do it, (LazyGirl that I am!)

I do think I get a better result from putting the leaves directly in the warmed pot, then pouring the water over the leaves, then straining into a different pot.  

@Sooner mentioned The Cultured Cup. They are great.

I, too, am a big fan of Mariages Freres.  

(I had Mariages Freres Paris Breakfast this morning - it’s a black tea with a bit of caramel, brioche flavour.  Just a touch of sugar to bring out the flavour and a smidge of milk.  This one is good without milk as well).  

Other good sources are Upton Tea in Massachusetts. They have a big variety of loose leaf teas.  

Murchies in British Columbia is also excellent.  

All three of these do mail order and I have had excellent customer service from all. 

I have also ordered from Fortnum & Mason in London Because of shipping costs, I usually try to order as much as I can for the minimum shipping rate.  Great marmalades and preserves too.  

Sometimes I think I would be happy living on tea and toast. 

Make that challah toast with Kerry Gold butter please.  

And a little Fortnum’s Sir Nigel Marmalade. 

However, sometimes one just has to have pound cake, petits fours, shortbread biscuits or madeleines with afternoon tea!  

Sorry if I got carried away writing; I hope it is all coherent.

Enjoy your tea explorations.  Mine have brought me joy, relaxation and comfort. 

Time now for my afternoon tea and I’m feeling a bit peckish! 

Esteemed Contributor

My favorite is Celestial Seasonings Country Peach Passion herbal tea. Just a nice, light hot tea. Nothing fancy, and not strong.

Honored Contributor

@Topaz Gem wrote:

Does anyone own the Breville One-Touch Tea Maker  (K297730)?  The ratings are very high, as everyone seems to love it.  I have it in my Wish List and am waiting for at least 6 easy pays, as it is pricey at $249.99.  I've never seen it presented on air, though, but it's been in QVC's inventory for awhile.

@Topaz Gem  I just posted about this on a "gadgets" thread.  It is a wonderful thing for a tea lover.  Especially a forgetful tea lover who is easily distracted and forgets about the brewing tea!

Breville automatic tea maker--lowers the tea leaves and takes them out automatically.  Was a Christmas gift to me and it is absolutely wonderful for good tea leaves.  It makes perfect tea ever time.

It was expensive but was a gift, and I spend a lot of money on good quality tea so it has been wonderful--a real treat--for me.  That's my idea of the perfect Christmas gift! 

Because I use good larger leaf loose tea, I usually add a minute or even more (for black) to its preset brewing times because the bigger leaves can steep longer. 

I highly recommend this!

Honored Contributor

@Topaz Gem  Bed Bath Beyond has them and you should be able to find a coupon that would help a LOT!  Happy hunting!