Honored Contributor

Re: TCM documentary on Horn and Hardart

My husbands grandfather was a cook in the one in NYC.

Frequent Contributor

Sadly I didn't see the documentary.  I worked on 42nd St.  and Lexington Ave. in the 60's, and I frequented H & H.  Such wonderful food, especially desserts, lol.  Thanks for bringing back such great memories.  

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@Blondie59   I watched the documentary and it was so interesting.  If we had a place like that growing up I sure would of been one of their best patrons.

Esteemed Contributor

I remember going to H & H as a kid in NY. So much fun opening those doors. I guess that was our first version of fast food, lol.

I can still picture the coffee cup my mom drank out of - whitish with a thin green strip at the top.

Respected Contributor

we went on 2 elementary school field trips to NYC in the 60s. one time was lunch at the H&H AutoMat.  think i had a club sandwich, pudding and a piece of pie.   

it was good. the novelty was the little doors and the food was inside. the rest of it was cafeteria trays and a soda fountain drink.

either 3rd grade or 5th grade. the 4th grade teacher didn't take us on field trips. 

i'm glad i got to go!!  something i'll always remember.. almost certain it was 3rd grade, the Bronx Zoo. in 5th grade we went to Ringling Bros and Barnum & Bailey Circus at Madison Square Garden. We had burgers and fries at a roadside burger joint on the way home.

Contributor

I actually taped it I grew up in Massachusetts we didn't have them here. I wasn't sure if these were really in existence I only seen them in various movies well now I know. I Was impressed that these were started in the early 1900s absolutely amazing they lasted so long.

Valued Contributor

@Blondie59   Thanks so much for posting about this!  A friend recommended it awhile ago and we never got around to watching.  Just watched on HBO Max.  My husband and I both loved every minute of it.  The vintage photos and films were amazing.  Brought back so many memories!

Honored Contributor

@Blondie59 

I found this on youtube and thought it was cute!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTqjO-dHTmE

Respected Contributor

I noticed an ad for "The Automat" & it will be shown again this Sunday (12/18/22) at noon ET.

May be an image of 2 people and text that says 'Telluride FilmFestival SELECTION THE AUTOMAT MEL RUTH BADER ELLIOTT COLIN HOWARD BROOKS GINSBURG GOULD POWELL SCHULTZ CAR REINER'