Highlighted
Contributor

TCM documentary on Horn and Hardart

I am most certainly dating myself, but did anyone happen to catch the H&H documentary last night on TCM?  It was a wonderful show about the rise of the automat. I remember going to the one on 42nd street with my mom after a day of being well behaved while shopping. Great food, and a whole lot of fun. Give a kid a nickel, and it was the best feeling in the world.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: TCM documentary on Horn and Hardart

I went to that same automat while visiting NYC around 1960.

Honored Contributor

Closed in NYC in 1991.  Philadelphia 1990.  

Yes, I did see that.  

First time I was there was during an elementary school class trip to NYC in 5rth grade. How fun that was.  

Second was a trip to Philadelphia to see Independence Hall and the Historic District.  

Then, some of the times to have lunch when I visited NYC much later.  Why?  Because it was fun.  

Esteemed Contributor

I didn't see the documentary -- comcast dropped TCM from my line-up, argh -- but I have very fond memories of going to Horn and Hardart as a child with my grandmother. I didn't realize that they were still around here in Philly until 1990!  

Contributor

aRe: TCM documentary on Horn and Hardart

[ Edited ]

lovrd it there as a kid......wish I had seen that

Trusted Contributor

@Blondie59   Oh, yes, those were precious memories I had when my mother (sometimes my dad) took me downtown (Manhattan) to shop and grab a bite at H&H...AND I remember the Ed Herlihy(sp?) Horn & Hardhart show that I watched every week on TV.  I seem to recall it was some sort of variety show but I'm sure some poster here will refresh my memory.

I also happened to catch one of my favorite movies, "A Touch of Mink" with the all-star cast of Doris Day and Cary Grant that had H&H as a central part of the story.  A pure delight!!

Honored Contributor

How interesting.  I never heard of Horn and Hardart.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Valued Contributor

I can remember going there quite often when I was little with my Dad..It was special "Daddy and me" time after we went to the zoo.I loved putting money in the slot.

When we got home Mom always asked"how many doors did you open!"

Respected Contributor

I remember going to the one in Center City Philadelphia. My Mom would take us to Eisenberg and O'Hara to get our school uniforms when we were younger, then we'd go to the H&H automat for lunch. The nickel was the legal tender there and they had "tellers" in a big glass booth where you could exchange paper money for nickels. I was amazed at the huge sacks of nickels they had in there. Then, there was the sheer variety and amount of food available. In a home where my Mom made 1 entree for dinner each night, the idea that we could pick anything we wanted was great. I loved their baked beans. They came in a custard cup and were the perfect size for me. I'm sure there were plenty of other dishes I liked, but the baked beans are what I remember most. 

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Respected Contributor

I recorded it. It's also airing on HBO Max.