Regular Contributor

Re: Swiss Steak--Blast from the Past 1960s?

I've never stopped making in in the last 45 years!! I use the crock pot now - not in the oven. I use whatever steak is on sale - round steak, usually. Brown it first, cut into serving size pieces, onions, mushrooms, Campbells Golden Mushroom soup, 1 can of beef broth, and into the crock pot. No tomatoes. Yummy. If I need to, I thicken the soup mixture for gravy for the mashed potatoes.

Frequent Contributor

My mom made this all the time when we were growing up, except she called it pepper steak. I made it a few times when we were first married in the 80's. I will have to make it again. I see round steak a lot in the stores here. It was always yummy!
Contributor

I made swiss steak last night from a chuck steak. I used mexican style stewed tomatoes and some onion. It was yummy.

Honored Contributor

On 1/21/2015 Lakegirl said: My mom made this all the time when we were growing up, except she called it pepper steak. I made it a few times when we were first married in the 80's. I will have to make it again. I see round steak a lot in the stores here. It was always yummy!

Were you standing in my kitchen as a young girl than again in the early 80's? Ha! I loved this as well but Mom and I both covered with white cream gravy like chicken fried steak. I loved using that mallet as a girl and as a new wife.

My poor husband even had to suffer through my barbecue wieners like I remembered from my elementary school day lunches. Once a the table he asked me with a bite of some strange something in his mouth he said "have you ever heard of Hamburger Helper?" Get some try it and PLEASE never make this mess again! I did get so much better but that first year was horrible. I tried hard to remember what all Mom did but Mom's was always better.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Super Contributor

couldn't live without my Nesco - have had it for years and use it almost every day - got rid of my crockpots - who needs it with a Nesco and yes - I remember Virginia fondly!! Thanks Wagirl