Super Contributor

Re: Swiss Steak--Blast from the Past 1960s?

I always dread dinner with my friends as they all turned vegeterian . Always on me .

i get their and it is so sad as to the dish's they serve. I leave and head strait for a nice meal. I do not enjoy a bunch of blended green leaves .

I love a pretty plate that looks like a meal

Honored Contributor

On 10/20/2014 Sooner said:
On 10/20/2014 chickenbutt said:

I always made it with stewed tomatoes. That's all I ever saw.

But then I'm from California, so I imagine there could be regional differences. Really, if you are adding bell peppers and onions to the diced tomatoes, that's pretty much what stewed tomatoes are. Smiley Happy

I'm a big user of canned tomato products, the ones I buy, the stewed ones are sweeter. So I was thinking I don't remember our swiss steak having that sweet taste of the canned stewed ones. I buy lots of canned tomatoes in all sizes and forms, so I am confused about that aspect of the dish! LOL!!!

Hey Sooner! You know what it could be - maybe the fact that the onions and bell peppers are 'stewed' with the tomatoes more brings out the sweetness of them. Chances are, now that I think about it, there is probably sugar added to them in the cooking/canning process.

With the recipe, however, I never noticed a sweet taste to it.

I also use pretty much only canned tomato products but, to tell the truth, I haven't purchased stewed tomatoes in a million years. Maybe it was the California version of Swiss Steak. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Some stewed tomatoes are just small whole canned without onions and such in them.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Super Contributor

Crockpot Fuss-Free Swiss Steak (I got this from these boards, very good recipe) 1 Reynolds cooking bag 2 T flour 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes 1 t celery seed 2 T tomato paste 1 T prepared mustard 1 T worcestershire sauce 1 T brown sugar 3 ribs celery, thinly sliced 1 or 2 carrots, sliced 1/4 inch thick 1 small onion, chopped, or 1T minced dried onion 1 to 1 1/2 pounds round steak, 1/2 inch thick, cut in serving sized pieces Measure flour into cooking bag, add tomatoes, celery seed, tomato paste, mustard, worcestershire sauce and brown sugar. Squeeze bag (carefully hold the top to keep it from spilling) to mix all ingredients. Add veggies and round steak. Secure top of bag with tie, place in slow cooker or crockpot. Cut several small vents in the top to allow steam to escape. Cover and cook on low 7-9 hours. Serves 4-6. Good with mashed potatoes and green beans.
Respected Contributor

Just found my Mother's recipe, it does have peppers in it. And a can of tomatoes, it doesn't specify.

~~
Respected Contributor

I just had this at my mom's house. Mom cooks it Puerto Rican style. She marinates it with a little olive oil and some vinegar(about a cap full) with lots of sliced onions. Then, she fries it. Delicious! I have some in the freezer. I think I'll cook it tomorrow with rice and beans and Tostones (fried plantains). Yum...!

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Occasional Contributor

Honored Contributor

I haven't made this in a long time. Sounds so good.

Respected Contributor

now that is a dish that i have not eaten since my mother cooked it for me back in the late 60's !!! not sure i want to give it a go in my own kitchen, however, since it was never a fav with me. nice little trip in the way back machine, tho!

Respected Contributor

Some people just use cream of mushroom soup and call it the same thing. That's not bad either.

~~