Super Contributor

Re: Swiss Steak--Blast from the Past 1960s?

Funny I should read this...I just put Swiss steak in the crockpot for tonight's dinner. Yum!

Honored Contributor

Did you all use tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, stewed tomatoes or what kind? As I remember we just used plain can of diced tomatoes. Some of you have mentioned stewed tomatoes, which usually are sweeter than the diced.

Wow that was a popular dish wasn't it?

Respected Contributor

Swiss Steak was one of the first recipes I learned to make. I babysat a lot when I was a teenager, and I got recipes from some of the families I sat for. Swiss Steak was one of those.

DH has always loved it. It can be a challenge finding round steak in the groceries these days. I was excited when I found that our Super Target carries it.

Regular Contributor

My grandmother made it with stewed tomatoes. I make it with diced because I always have them on hand. Great dish with mashed taters!!

Esteemed Contributor

People stopped making it? {#emotions_dlg.blush}

In the cold weather months I make it but leave out the tomatoes. Just a simple beef gravy to simmer. Mashed potatoes, always.

I haven't read the goulash thread but I still make Hungarian Goulash when the mood strikes. meatloaf, too!

I didn't know there were foods that went out of style. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Respected Contributor

This is my go to recipe but Pillsbury has a dozen of variations.

<h1 class="recipePartTitleText">Salsa Swiss Steak</h1>
Salsa Swiss Steak
<h2>Ingredients</h2>
teaspoons oil
1 1/2
lb. boneless beef top round steak, trimmed of fat, cut into 5 pieces
1/2
teaspoon salt
1/4
teaspoon pepper
medium onion, halved lengthwise, sliced
1/2
medium green bell pepper, cut into bite-sized strips
(10 3/4-oz.) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
3/4
cup Old El Paso™ Thick 'n Chunky salsa
  • 1 Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Sprinkle steak with salt and pepper. Place steak in skillet; cook 4 to 6 minutes or until well browned, turning once.
  • 2 Transfer steak to 4 to 6-quart slow cooker. Top with onion and bell pepper. In same skillet, combine soup and salsa; mix well. Pour over vegetables and steak.
  • 3 Cover; cook on low setting for 8 to 10 hours.
  • 4 Remove steak pieces from slow cooker; place on serving platter. Stir sauce well. Serve sauce with steak.
Regular Contributor

I also used to make a Deviled Swiss Steak which incorporated dry mustard powder into the flour. And it didn't call for a tomato gravy but a brown (not thick) one. Don't know what happened to that recipe but I remember the family really enjoyed it. It may have called for mushrooms..hmm. May have to try to find it.

Honored Contributor

I always made it with stewed tomatoes. That's all I ever saw.

But then I'm from California, so I imagine there could be regional differences. Really, if you are adding bell peppers and onions to the diced tomatoes, that's pretty much what stewed tomatoes are. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Stewed tomatoes and sliced onions here.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

On 10/20/2014 chickenbutt said:

I always made it with stewed tomatoes. That's all I ever saw.

But then I'm from California, so I imagine there could be regional differences. Really, if you are adding bell peppers and onions to the diced tomatoes, that's pretty much what stewed tomatoes are. Smiley Happy

I'm a big user of canned tomato products, the ones I buy, the stewed ones are sweeter. So I was thinking I don't remember our swiss steak having that sweet taste of the canned stewed ones. I buy lots of canned tomatoes in all sizes and forms, so I am confused about that aspect of the dish! LOL!!!