Respected Contributor

It sounds strange to me when people refer to "sweet tea". I'm southern and never have I heard this term before recently. Yes, it's such a little thing but sounds wonky to me. I've noticed in the past couple of years that, when I ask for iced tea, I'm usually asked if I want "sweet tea". No, I don't want sweet tea; when they bring it out, it's always with a tea spoon and a container with all kinds of sweetener alongside. I must be the only person alive who doesn't take sugar in their tea...does that make me special? Smiley Very Happy

Valued Contributor

It's because you are Southern! In the North, when we ask for iced tea, that's what we get. I have a friend from South Carolina and she says the same thing you do. She introduced all of us to her "sweet tea" and we were surprised. She also said that when she first moved up here, no one knew what she meant when she asked for creamy potatoes. WE call them mashed potatoes.

Valued Contributor

Strange, I am not from the south but moved here 15 years ago.  Natives in my area always refer to "sweet tea."  In the north we had "iced tea" in the summer not to be seen until the next summer.  

As to "sweet", the first time at our new church when I helped make the tea, I was shocked (like diabetic coma} when the church recipe called for boiling the tea bags and then adding 5# sugar and 5 gallons of water! 

Respected Contributor

People like their tea many different ways, hot, or cold. We're always asked our preference, if we don't state it, since there are options.

I have enjoyed sweetened tea, and non. It just depends on the moment and maybe what I'm having it with. A treat by itself, maybe sweetened, with a meal, not.

Instead of a typical slice of lemon in my iced tea, I have always preferred a nice sweet orange slice. Many look at me like I'm crazy, but it's delish.  

Honored Contributor

Sweet tea has become a “:thing” the past ten years or so. I grew up in the south and live there now...I and my friends never grew up with it or drink it now: seems to be what fast food places sell and in bottles other places. Has it once whe. I ordered tea and didn't know they sweetened it. So sweet, you could not taste the tea, just the sugar. . Proper tea is black, no sweetener, with lemon. You might as well drink soda...it prob has less sugar than what passes for sweet tea.

Honored Contributor

I'll take my iced tea plain, no sugar, please.  I've never even tried "sweet" tea and actually probably wouln't care for it.   I also take my coffee black...nothing added.

Contributor

NO!

Trusted Contributor

@Krimpette  Dittos!  I am exactly the same way about my iced tea and coffee.

Valued Contributor

I am from the south and am surprised at some of the comments from other southerners.  I  grew up with sweet tea as the norm.   You get sweet tea in a restaurant unless you ask for unsweetened.   I also have never heard of mashed potatoes referred to as creamy potatoes.

Respected Contributor

I have a huge sweet tooth but can’t stand sweetened iced tea. I’ve learned to always ask because I don’t want that unwelcome surprise lol.