Honored Contributor

Re: Supermarket shrinkage? It's not your imagination, experts say

On 5/21/2014 kachina624 said: Look at how they've shrunk the size of cake mixes. This is especially concerning because all of our bakeware was designed to make standard size mixes. Who wants a 9 X 13 cake the thickness of a pancake?

They barely have a cake aisle anymore in our large supermarket. They must not sell cake mixes. They have a selection of about 10 bake mixes. The bread mixes, and such are all gone. The space is 2 shelves about 5 ft long. On top of the second shelf is frosting. The bottom shelf has specialty items like marie callanders cornbread mix. Everything I used to use in an emergency is gone.

Honored Contributor

I agree that this has been happening for a long time and we are paying a lot more for less. I also notice the quality of items is down--even paper. Bought refill inserts for an address book and the paper is thinner and hard to write on--same with some paper tablets I have purchased.

Super Contributor

How about yogurt?

Yoplait is a joke: used to be 8oz - now it's 5oz.

Same with Chobani -- now it's 5 oz.

but price has increased over the years on both.

I'm waiting for the 2oz yogurt.

Occasional Contributor

We live in the age of the 12 ounce pound. Personally, I'd rather pay more for the full amount and not have to run to the store every few days because I'm always running out of something. They are going to get my money one way or another, buy cutting the size, or by raising the price. At least if they just raised the price I'd save on gas and time wasted on multiple grocery store trips.

Frequent Contributor

On 5/22/2014 ChynnaBlue said:

"'It's called Tide Plus. I think they should rename it Tide Minus,' Dworsky said."

I like him.

That line made me chuckle! Tide Minus LOL!

Frequent Contributor

One more thing shrinking is....cough drops. My DH unwrapped one the other day and got the weirdest look on his face. He showed it to me and, yes, a cough drop is now smaller than it used to be!

Honored Contributor

On 5/22/2014 kachina624 said: Remember when all ice cream came in 1/2 gallon containers? Now the only one I see is Blue Bell, for those of us in the South/Southwest.

love BlueBell....and it says "still 1/2 gallon" on the carton......I think it is now the only one that has stayed that size.

the coffee DH bought today is just 12 oz now......less for more!

Respected Contributor

Here is something I discovered. I use sweetener, and one box I bought, several of the packets were empty. I opened the packet and nothing came out. I bought another box and the same thing happened.

Regular Contributor

It's definitely not our imagination. The Sabrett's hotdogs I always bought are now looking anorexic...almost the size of pencils. Why??? It's no longer a 1lb. pkg....it's 14 oz..

Worse than that are the shrunken cake mixes. Bugs the heck out of me!!!

Respected Contributor

I never "imagined" anything, because I can read labels. And I agree that the shock expressed in the article is at least a decade too late.

I think the reason manufacturers have done this is because when one of them reduces size and not price, that gives them an edge; they are making more profit. So others follow.

It doesn't matter what consumers think.

I do appreciate and use products that haven't shrunk - like Blue Bell Ice Cream.

And I use Arm & Hammer detergent; it's 1/2 the price of Tide and works as well.