Respected Contributor

Re: Supermarket shrinkage? It's not your imagination, experts say

I don't think they care that we notice.

Honored Contributor

This article is about 10 years late. I think most people who shop know about that we have been getting less product for the same or more money for quite some time now. It's fact and food processors don't deny it. It is what it is.

Respected Contributor

This is hardly breaking news. Anyone who reads a product label knows the weights/sizes have been reduced.

Coffee used to be 16 oz. in a can. That was back in the dark ages. Sugar was always 5lbs., yogurt cups were 8 oz. and toilet paper rolls were wider. What really bugs me are the tiny bottles of dishwashing detergent like Dawn or Gain (or something Gain-scented). The smallest sizes are laughable.

Respected Contributor

I bought a box of Chees-its--the box was half the original size

Honored Contributor

This has been going on for just about as long as I can remember. Can you even buy a half gallon of ice cream any more? The most frustrating thing is that they often also raise the prices. Consumers really do have to shop around these days.

Respected Contributor

I figured that out long ago. I saw something on tv a couple of years ago about downsized packaging rather than leaving products the same size & raising the prices. Just can't remember now if it was a local news report or if I saw it on national news or CNN. In fact, about 10 years ago, my late mother asked me if I'd noticed that Hershey bars (her big indulgence) had gotten smaller.

Super Contributor

On 5/22/2014 Ladybug724 said:

I bought a box of Chees-its--the box was half the original size

I remember purchasing a box of Triscuits last winter and posting a pic to Facebook - - the box along side a standard size coffee cup - - that was just a bit bigger than the Triscuits box! I got a lot of comments from my friends!
Trusted Contributor

I've seen other stories on this and I think it is kind of funny that they always say it is a sneaky way of getting more money for less product. It seems to me to be quite obvious not sneaky at all, first because it has been going on now for a number of years with various products. Also, if you have been used to buying 5 lbs of flour, for example, and now the bags are smaller that isn't really that hard to figure out and I think it is pretty obvious with most products.

Honored Contributor

Remember when all ice cream came in 1/2 gallon containers? Now the only one I see is Blue Bell, for those of us in the South/Southwest.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Occasional Contributor

I also noticed it years ago. But what is getting worse is the packages inside the smaller box are also half empty compared to being full to the top. That irks me!

It's going to get worse girls, the prices are going up again on meats and produce, at least that is what the news said last week. {#emotions_dlg.scared}