Honored Contributor

Re: Suggestions please for light weight bakeware

@Spacrazy : Trying to cook for DH and me. If it was just me- would be eating a lot of salads and microwave entrees. Dealing with so many health issues doing a lot of careful reading and research. Southern Bee 

Honored Contributor

Get no stick tin.  Tin gives more tender crusts than glass.

Trusted Contributor

@SouthernBee   I don't know how helpful this will be...I have both Pyrex glass casserole dishes and metal pans (Williams Sonoma) that I make casseroles and things in....when cleaning I let it soak first with Dawn Platinum dish soap (soak time is about 15 minutes with super hot water).  OMG, that stuff has been a godsend to me.  It cleans everything.  Good Luck and Happy Cooking/Baking.

Honored Contributor

@Misplaced Parisian :I love the Dawn and Dawn Platinum and have used it on the Pyrex. We think it’s clean and once dry can see like shadows but surface still smooth😲🤷‍♀️. I no longer use the Pam spray because of the residue  and never used it on the Pyrex. DH said that I just need to throw the Pyrex out. Thank you, Southern Bee 

Respected Contributor

Am really surprised you having difficulty cleaning that Pyrex. I love glass over that metal stuff. Meatloaf even comes out. I too use Dawn Platinum and I let things soak.
Perhaps baking soda followed by vinegar?
Honored Contributor

@Twins Mom : Thank you. I tried the vinegar but will try again with the baking soda and then the vinegar. I have one older and small Pyrex casserole dish that was my Mother’s and it is easier to clean. Southern Bee 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Aluminum is lighter than steel or glass, and aluminum is the best surface for baking IMO (and many chefs say this). 

I have a lot  of Nordic Ware aluminum pans - bread pan, 13 X 9 cake pan, round cake pans, cookie sheets. Amazon has them. 

Wilton makes aluminum baking pans and sheets, and they are thinner and even lighter in weight. Wilton's website, Michael's and Joanne's carry them.

Casseroles can be baked in metal pans, although bare aluminum might interact with acidic foods such as tomato sauce. Nonstick interiors solve that issue, and also make for easy cleanup. Here's a nonstick Nordic pan, 9 x 9 inches, that could be used for cakes and casseroles. 

This is called Nordic Ware Naturals. 

I would not use disposable aluminum pans in your situation. As you've said, they are not very stable.  

Honored Contributor

@peachesncream : Thanks for the great information. I really like the looks of that pan.I am  considering finding casserole recipe that are good to freeze and then just reheat to make better meals and have quick clean up. Southern Bee 

Regular Contributor

Southern Bee :  A cleaning tip my mother taught me is to put the Dawn dish soap, hot water and then add some dishwasher detergent and let it sit overnight.  With the new dishwasher pods I just drop one in on stubborn stains and it cleans up like a charm. 

Honored Contributor

@aunt bea : Thank you. I will try this. I have 3 of the Pyrex 9x13, the loaf pan, and a square one. I plan to start using the smaller pans to help prevent baking spills and accidents. Southern Bee